Toronto 1Thousand Bay | 104.85m | 32s | Cresford | a—A

Unless it's coming down, Bistro990 is going to look real cute wedged in between.

b990.jpg

The property does not currently include 990 Bay. However, if I were the owner, I would make enquiries over the next little while, to see if a deal could be cut to include this property. It would not surprise me at all if I heard that this was being done.

Any pros and cons of buying a residential unit in a combined hotel/residential development, please?

most hotel/condo combos i've noticed so far have higher maintenance fees than only condo.

The property does not currently include 990 Bay. However, if I were the owner, I would make enquiries over the next little while, to see if a deal could be cut to include this property. It would not surprise me at all if I heard that this was being done.

perhaps they could also occupy a main floor retail space.

I think it would be a shame to lose Bistro 990. It's one of the few places on this stretch of Bay Street which brings some evening activity to the area plus it's a great restaurant.

Any pros and cons of buying a residential unit in a combined hotel/residential development, please?

You have to put up with noise all hours of the day and night. People are always coming and going all hours of the night at a hotel.

I think it would be a shame to lose Bistro 990. It's one of the few places on this stretch of Bay Street which brings some evening activity to the area plus it's a great restaurant.

exactly - Toronto needs to keep these kinds of little gems! And we want variety at street level, rather than just some sterile stretch of condo towers.

I hope nothing happens to 990 Bay. That building should be protected and I hope Bistro 990 stays for good. What an amazing restaurant.

Now they should buy the property and do a James Cooper Mansion approach to it... :)

But it isn't an architecturally significant building like the James Cooper Mansion ( which is everything the execrable "Design Guild" wishes it was, but isn't ... ), so I doubt if that will happen.

Though, on second thoughts and given the desperation for facadectomizing everything in sight these days, maybe your wish will come to pass.

thanks for that.... Good news, looks like Bistro 990 will remain untouched! I just grabbed these drawings / elevations from the pdf for easier access...

Site Plan :
4313819679_21ccb0137a_o.jpg

East elevation:
4313819719_a950dc3722_o.jpg

North Elevation :
4313819755_5ae2937497_o.jpg

West Elevation :
4314555682_09e68765af_o.jpg

South Elevation :
4314555736_53b482cf14_o.jpg

Last edited:
I guess you should study the pdf re-zoning application more closely to answer that question. There is no mention of conflict or remedy with regards to Bistro 990 in the document. In any case, the podium level, south face looks like it will be a blank concrete wall.

Notes of interest:

• 115 hotel suites, 99 residential units. The unit mix proposed for the residential condominium is 8 bachelor units (8%), 62 one-bedroom units (63%), 19 two-bedroom units (19%) and 10 three-bedroom units (10%).
  • 4 levels of underground parking (106 parking spots: 53 to condo, 10 for condo visitors, 43 for hotel)
  • 115 bicycle spaces

The report also mentions a possible implementation of a gateway entrance to the University of Toronto at the intersection of St. Joseph Street and Bay Street.

Back