Toronto Toronto House | 186.53m | 58s | Westbank | Hariri Pontarini

The elevations in the report show that it's the same design as what we have in the dataBase file. That's not the old design. The renderings that popped into this thread recently were the old design.

This was just before the Design Review Panel, and got mostly very complimentary feedback from panel members. Generally they are recognizing that the site is challenging with the heritage building on it. The approach to the heritage building—especially with the two floor office box on top of it, with the lower floor set back as to provide a reveal, and the upper floor pushed out to the lot line and hovering over the heritage structure—was seen differently by different members, either as uncomplimentary to the existing building, or as a bold and effective way to bring this building to prominence in the Entertainment District, an area that is seeing substantial transformation. One member has likened the proportions and elegance of this design to the Rockefeller Centre towers in New York.

Vote: (EDIT: Miss-saw one vote) Refine 6 Redesign 2.

Last edited:
From Toronto Preservation Board agenda:

"This report recommends that City Council state its intention to designate the property at 19 Duncan Street under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act. Located on the southeast corner of Duncan Street and Adelaide Street West, the property containing the Southam Press Building (1908) is listed on the City of Toronto's Heritage Register (formerly known as the Inventory of Heritage Properties).

The owners have submitted an application to develop the site, and the property at 19 Duncan Street is being recommended for designation at this time to ensure that all of the heritage values and attributes of the site are identified and protected."

Revised SPA renders. Two major revisions from the app: curtain wall on the tower and pin-supported glass on the office box. It's also 188.35m now.

Revised Cam02 Night LARGE - Smaller.jpg

Revised Cam03 Night LARGE - Smaller.jpg

Attachments

• Revised Cam02 Night LARGE - Smaller.jpg
    Revised Cam02 Night LARGE - Smaller.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,402
  • Revised Cam03 Night LARGE - Smaller.jpg
    Revised Cam03 Night LARGE - Smaller.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,398
Absolutely stunning, and a welcome change from the surrounding underwhelming developments we have seen in the past 5 years.

An improvement, to be sure, though the Bisha debacle has me generally scared of fins in renders, now.

Absolutely stunning, and a welcome change from the surrounding underwhelming developments we have seen in the past 5 years.
Theatre park and shangrila are nice... But that festival tower cluster... Ya. Will be nice to see more varied height as well. Also office/ rental is a nice change as well.

HPA did a great job on those towers in regent park, which I'm sure must have had a limited budget. This looks a bit similar so I'm sure they will pull it off.

HOLY CRUD. I'm really loving the way the Entertainment is moving, we've had some seriously amazing projects come through the past few years, and we got some amazing ones that'll be under construction shortly(P&J Condos, THIS). Wonderful.

Not sure what everyone loves so much about this one. It's pretty underwhelming for HP. I think it would look better without those balconies on the northwest corner.

Yeah, this would be good for anyone other than HPA, but I've been spoiled by their warm brick and curved glass aesthetic (as seen on 7 St. Thomas, King Portland Centre, The Well, Artists' Alley, etc.).

I do like the vertical strips, but I'm not a fan of the chunky balconies. If they're going to make this one all about the verticality, it needs to lose the horizontal lines.

Are there any other developers in Toronto that have put their own name on a tower? What I mean is, is this really going to say Westbank at the top?

Back