Vaughan 1890 Hwy 7 | 95m | 27s | Cortel Group | Kirkor

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Huge development in the Hwy 7 /Keele area (next to a future Concord GO station on the Barrie line), will contain 9 towers of up to 38s (118m):
https://www.vaughan.ca/council/minutes_agendas/AgendaItems/CW(PH)1126_3.pdf

From the PDF:
wqwu.jpg

Last edited:
One side of Yonge is in Vaughan, the other in Markham (with Richmond Hill running along the north side of both there), so neither municipality has a chuck of the other side.

The road really should get a proper name, like Chris Hadfield is Awesome Avenue, or something.

I wonder if Concord GO Station will ever get built. It's a good location, especially if that area gets urbanized. (There isn't room for a gigantic parking lot, perhaps disuading GO in the past.)

Perhaps it will make more sense when York University GO Station is replaced by Downsview Park in 2016.

I wonder if Concord GO Station will ever get built. It's a good location, especially if that area gets urbanized. (There isn't room for a gigantic parking lot, perhaps disuading GO in the past.)

Perhaps it will make more sense when York University GO Station is replaced by Downsview Park in 2016.

The funny thing is that it's in the plans, and so all these developments are moving forward; a similar pattern is being seen on Yonge Street.
But there is no timetable on the plans so horrible gridlock awaits if this transit doesn't get built relatively soon. (Even with the Concord station, this looks amazingly dense...but better that than more plans for sprawl, I guess...)

Rutherford and Maple stations, and Newmarket and East Gwillimbury stations are both just two km apart. Concord would be 3 km from York U station and 5.5 or so from Downsview Park.

If this goes through, Concord station must too.

One side of Yonge is in Vaughan, the other in Markham (with Richmond Hill running along the north side of both there), so neither municipality has a chuck of the other side.

Etobicoke didn't have the east sections of Metro thoroughfares running through it either, but that didn't stop people from including the "west" in the street name. Must be something about "highway" in street names that make ppl think differently for some reason.

Etobicoke's street naming was consistent with all of Metro Toronto. York Region did not impose the same rules on each of its municipalities.

"Hadfield Avenue" does have a nice ring to it..

I seem to remember that they were originally considering renaming hwy 7 before the bus lanes began construction, but decided against it.

You would think that building the Concord GO Station while a) that development is going forward, and b) the construction of the Rapidway along that portion of 7 is happening would make sense. If you're going to make the area a construction nightmare, might as well get it over with all at once. And that way, the 3 components can be integrated in a way that makes sense, instead of ad-hoc planning afterwards.

This kind of development would be better off at VMC, especially with all the infrastructure that's coming. Building out the downtown should be top priority.

Also, I noticed something in the pdf. It appears that there are plans to realign Highway 7 and Centre St. Does anyone know more about it?
11021248165_247f9c60f3_b.jpg

…in other words that realignment has already taken place.

So, why only construct something like this at VMC? If a GO station is built here (and Liberty's development should pay for it), then you've got the infrastructure here too. This, of course, is the kind of density one would need along the line at every station to start to make all-day two-way service on the Barrie line work.

The other bright side of this is that there's almost no NIMBYs in this area (a few in the old settlement of Concord to the south). Just look at the fight to put the Rapidway in on Centre Street. And that's just a Rapidway!

I couldn't see why Liberty wouldn't pay for at least part of a GO Station here - they aren't that expensive to build, unless they went with a two track station with dual elevators and tunnels. But even then, it's not a huge deal.

The reason I think York University Station should GO (buh-dum-dum) is that once Downsview Park is opened, the station will have very little utility as York U wants everyone to come in by subway and eliminate as many buses from campus as possible. They're going to have to work out an agreement on Presto providing passage at no additional cost to the forced transfer that GO, YRT and BTZum customers will endure so I see the same for GO customers to and from the Barrie Line.

Back