Toronto Wonder | 31.7m | 8s | Graywood | Diamond Schmitt

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchDevelopmentProjectsSetup.do?action=init

462 EASTERN AVE

Ward 30
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 12 148473 STE 30 OZ Mar 30, 2012 ---

Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning application to permit the re-development of the lands for the purposes of a new mixed use development containing residential, and commercial uses. Included in the proposal is the construction of a 7 storey mixed use building complete with ground floor retail uses including a food store and 259 residential dwelling units above. An additonal 7, 3.5 storey town house type dwelling units would be constructed on the Logan Avenue facade . 288 parking spaces to serve the development are proposed to be provided, all in a below grade parking structure.

There's also an application right beside it, although I don't know if it will be part of the same development.

459 EASTERN AVE

Ward 30
- Tor & E.York OPA / Rezoning 12 148264 STE 30 OZ Mar 30, 2012 ---

Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning application to permit the re-development of the lands for the purposes of a new mixed use development containing residential, commercial and institutional uses. Included in the proposal is the construction of a 4 storey and 2 storey non-residential building fronting onto Booth Ave and an additional building 6 stories in height along the Eastern Avenue frontage containing 2 floors of retail and office uses and 71 live/work dwelling units above. 187 parking spaces to serve the development are proposed to be provided, 41 on the surface and 146 in a below grade parking structure.

Hmmm

462 is definitely the Weston Bakery. The neighbourhood would lose its finest scent!

I assume the food store in question would then be a loblaws. (other options would be No Frills and T&T from the Weston family)

But that gets interesting, as Loblaws already operates just down the street and Eastern and Leslie, though that store is an eyesore....

459 appears to be across the street, on what is now parking.

I have no idea if the lands are related, though the otherwise co-incidental timing of the applications has me wondering if that parking is current for said bakery across the street.

All of this would imply the closure of said bakery; but I'm not aware of any announced plans to do so; anyone have any info (maybe I missed it)

459 & 462 Eastern Avenue (Weston Bakery, 2122498 Ontario Ltd, seeking 7 + 6 + 4 + 2s)

I did a search for this development and didn't find a thread, so here it is. If a thread exists, please merge/delete this one.

Applications have been submitted for the Weston Bakery at 462 Eastern Ave and its parking lot across the street (459 Eastern Ave). I've highlighted the sites on the map below. 176 Logan Avenue (in blue and partially cut off) is the parking lot for the bakery outlet store. I imagine it's included, but for whatever reason wasn't listed on the application for 462 Eastern Ave. 176 Logan Ave may just be a convenience or entrance address. Unsure.

WestonBakery-EasternAve.jpg

459 Eastern Avenue

OPA / Rezoning (Application #12 148264 STE 30 OZ)

Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning application to permit the re-development of the lands for the purposes of a new mixed use development containing residential, commercial and institutional uses. Included in the proposal is the construction of a 4 storey and 2 storey non-residential building fronting onto Booth Ave and an additional building 6 stories in height along the Eastern Avenue frontage containing 2 floors of retail and office uses and 71 live/work dwelling units above. 178 parking spaces to serve the development are proposed to be provided, 41 on the surface and 137 in a below grade parking structure.

459EasternAve-ParkingLot.jpg

462 Eastern Avenue

OPA / Rezoning (Application #12 148473 STE 30 OZ)

Official Plan Amendment and Rezoning application to permit the re-development of the lands for the purposes of a new mixed use development containing residential, and commercial uses. Included in the proposal is the construction of a 7 storey mixed use building complete with ground floor retail uses including a food store and 259 residential dwelling units above. An additional 7, 3.5 storey town house type dwelling units would be constructed on the Logan Avenue facade. 288 parking spaces to serve the development are proposed to be provided, all in a below grade parking structure.

462EasternAve-Bakery.jpg

___

I'd love someone with photography skills to shoot the old bakery before it's game over. In my opinion, it's a lovely old industrial building. I'll miss the smell.

Last edited:
Appears that this stretch of Eastern will get its well-deserved gentrification treatment.

Last edited:
Interesting development.

I won't miss that yeasty bread smell, myself. But I welcome the change on Eastern. It's about time.

I'd love someone with photography skills to shoot the old bakery before it's game over. In my opinion, it's a lovely old industrial building. I'll miss the smell.

From the looks of that tiny image, the old bakery building is being incorporated into the new building. Possibly/likely a facade job.

As Eastern gets built up, I guess the writing's on the wall for Gale's Snack Bar. Which sucks, because Gale's is awesome.

Last edited:
OMB Pre-hearing for the Weston Bakery site is on November 14th. Graywood are the developer for 462 Eastern.

City Staff will be hosting a meeting to let residents know the purpose of the OMB pre-hearing conference and to provide information on the City's Official Plan in regards to the Weston Bakery site at 462 Eastern Avenue.

Where: Bruce Junior Public School
51 Larchmount

When: Thursday, November 3
7:00 to 9:00

And as far as I'm aware - 462 and 459 are two different projects.

Learn more about plans for Leslieville's Weston Bakery site

Community members can learn more about the future of the former Weston Bakery site at Eastern and Logan avenues in Leslieville by attending three upcoming meetings.

The first gathering, which Ward 30 Councillor Paula Fletcher requested and is being hosted by the City’s Planning Division, is set for Thursday, Nov. 3, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Bruce Junior Public School, 51 Larchmount Ave. This meeting will take a loser look at 462 Eastern Ave., the former bakery site.

The second meeting, which is being put on by this property’s current owner, Graywood Development Ltd., will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 8, also from 7 to 9 p.m., at the Ralph Thornton Centre, 765 Queen St. E.

George Weston Ltd., which previously owned 462 Eastern Ave. and at nearby employee parking lot at 459 Eastern Ave., closed the bakery at the end of March 2014.

In early 2012, an application was submitted to Toronto City Planning to redevelop both sites.

The application for 459 Eastern Ave., which was sold at All-Canadian Self-Storage, is still in progress and still requires city approval. This property’s owner wants to build a five-storey industrial self-storage facility with 56 parking spaces at this site.

City Planning, also at Fletcher's request, is also hosting a meeting on the future of 459 Eastern Ave. on Thursday, Nov. 14 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Ralph Thornton Centre.

Graywood Development Ltd., which purchased 462 Eastern Ave., is proposing a seven-storey, mixed-use, mid-rise condominium along with a three-storey townhouse building with 266 residential units and retail at grade. Visit http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-47994.pdf for more details.

When it comes to this property, Toronto City Council approved a required change of zoning from employment to mixed use but the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has yet to approve that conversion and other site-specific policies as the site falls within the flood plain. At this time, it remains designated for employment uses.

Graywood Development Ltd. has since appealed this decision to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB).

On Monday, Nov. 14 at 10 a.m., a pre-hearing conference will get underway at 10 a.m. at the OMB, 655 Bay St., 16th Floor.

Community members are welcome to attend.

A full community consultation process will still be required before the development can move forward.

Community members can contact the planner, Carly Bowman, directly at 416-338-3788 or cbowman2@toronto.ca for information.

Fletcher’s office is also available to answer any questions. Email councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca or call 416-392-4060.

The public can also mail comments to the Planner of Toronto and East York District, 100 Queen St. W., Floor 18E, Toronto, ON, M5H 2N2.

That's the old scheme

Back