Toronto JAC Condos | 108.5m | 34s | Graywood | Turner Fleischer

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like something is brewing for Jarvis st. south of Carlton overlooking the park.

308 JARVIS ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 110573 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Jan 23, 2012 --- --- --- ---

Proposal to construct a 50 sty with 9 sty podium mixed used building (condo containing 590 units, 5 of which are townhouse units fronting on Mutual St, and commercial), 5 levels of below grade parking, and preservation of front poriton of existing Heritage House. 308, 310, 312, 314 Jarvis St & 225 Mutual St

androiduk started this neighbourhood thread over 1-1/2 yr. ago.... http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/13590-Jarvis-St.

There's a number of things happening on Jarvis St. so I thought I'd create a new thread for it. Below is the 1st entry. This building is just below Carlton. With the empty parking lot beside it this could be a development site. A condo here would have a pleasant view of Allan Gardens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started
TORONTO ON M5B 2C5

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 10 221739 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jul 16, 2010
Project: Other Demolition
Description: Permit to demolish existing 2 storey studio space.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.661653,-79.376372&spn=0.000462,0.001363&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.661754,-79.376415&panoid=b_mY3pZpNHs1Bc0wSXX9Xg&cbp=12,251.47,,0,-2.62

I'm sure the McGill-Granby neighbourhood association will have a conniption over the height, but I hope the builder gets everything they're asking for. The more eyes on the street that we can get at that location the better. Hopefully we get a nicely animated base to get some pedestrian traffic on Jarvis as well. I'd love to see a nice restaurant/pub there, with a patio looking out at the park.

Excellent location for intensification. I really like how Upper Jarvis has cleaned up quite well, but it gets quite dodgy south of Carlton. A development here should really enhance the streetscape and freshen up some new life for this stretch.

As shadows are generally cast northward, it looks like only the church on the north west corner of the park will subject to any shadows.

Well, in that case, given Toronto's anti-Christian sentiment this should go ahead without a hitch.

Toronto's anti-Christian sentiment

BlankSnowyOrlyOwl.jpg

Maybe Gord was implying that our population is made up of a lot of non-Christians, and immigrants who practice different faiths. Somehow that correlation determined that Toronto=anti-Christian.

Excellent location for intensification. I really like how Upper Jarvis has cleaned up quite well, but it gets quite dodgy south of Carlton. A development here should really enhance the streetscape and freshen up some new life for this stretch.

agreed.
Only a few days ago I was suggesting some highrises should be proposed overlooking Allen Garden and Moss Park to improve the downtown east side, and here it is.
Jarvis is a beautiful street, fantastic location, wide streets, many historian houses yet vastly underutilized. Between Carlton and Queen, there is a lot to be done. I hope there will be more than just condos, as Jarvis needs business to become a more vibrant street to walk on.

The more challenging part is actually between Queen and Gerrard, particularly near Dundas/Shuter. Can't wait for something interesting proposed at that section. It got a lot better south of Queen/Richmond though.

agreed.
Only a few days ago I was suggesting some highrises should be proposed overlooking Allen Garden and Moss Park to improve the downtown east side, and here it is.
Jarvis is a beautiful street, fantastic location, wide streets, many historian houses yet vastly underutilized. Between Carlton and Queen, there is a lot to be done. I hope there will be more than just condos, as Jarvis needs business to become a more vibrant street to walk on.

The more challenging part is actually between Queen and Gerrard, particularly near Dundas/Shuter. Can't wait for something interesting proposed at that section. It got a lot better south of Queen/Richmond though.

Every new condo built along Jarvis (and Church Street, for that matter) needs to have some serious retail on the ground level. That should be the general rule with all development of major streets downtown.

So the outline of 308 only is in red, while the vacant lot (and historic house) are next to it outlined in blue.

308-1.jpg

308 alone seems like an awfully narrow site to be putting five hundred feet on. Does anyone know if any of the adjacent lots will be included?

Back