News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.2K     2 

154 Shuter Street

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Noticed this the other day. One storey addition on top of a heritage building known as The Rosar Coach House. Architect or use unknown.

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,962
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,574
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,485
The Permit says:

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Inspection

TORONTO ON M5A 1V9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#:
13 266917 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date:
Jan 24, 2014

Project:
Multiple Unit Building Multiple Projects

Description:
Proposal for a third storey addition (92m2) and a third storey deck along with interior alterations (10m2) to mixed use building.

That's a pretty handsome front that building has. I must have driven past it hundreds of times without noticing that little gem.

I am the owner of this building, which I purchased 2 years ago. It was the Carriage House for the Rosar Funeral home that occupied 180 Sherbourne St next door at the time. Can't determine the actual date of construction but I believe it was built in 1910. The style is called Renaissance Revival and was designed by Toronto architect J. M. Cowan.
I will use part of the ground floor for a dance and fitness studio/workshop space. Part of the renovation will include replacing the unfortunate front entrance with full-size reproduction carriage house doors.
The rest of the building will be my private residence, with plenty of room for guests and parties! Many features are designed for 21st century off the grid living to the fullest extent possible.
Feel free to drop by for a tour. Can't guarantee I will always be around, but if I am I would be happy to show you around.

Why adding only one floor? I think most of those properties should have 2-3 extra floors.
It is indeed a very attractive building.

I'm not sure if you're being serious, but we are working within allowed height limits. The intention is to maintain the look and feel of the original building to passersby. That's why the addition is at the back of the building. There will be a green roof on the open space behind the parapet. Unfortunately we have discovered that the walls are in really bad shape and have replaced the entire parapet on the west side, which is very time consuming and expensive. Hoping to receive a heritage designation that would qualify for some help from the city to restore the rest of the walls before they fall off the building.

That's awesome you're taking the time and effort to take care of that place! I've always walked past it and thought it would make a fantastic loft space, and I guess it will.

I remember seeing the listing a few years ago and was impressed by the pictures I saw of the space inside. I walk past this building every morning on the way to work and delighted to see the progress being made.

Good luck to you Divineah

I remember seeing the listing a few years ago and was impressed by the pictures I saw of the space inside. I walk past this building every morning on the way to work and delighted to see the progress being made.

Good luck to you Divineah

+1, well done. Best of luck with the project, I cycle by this building every morning and have admired it for years!

Slow but definite progress. Great to see this new space evolving!

IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 911

Back