1233 St.Clair Avenue West (Shoppers Drug Mart, 3s, MJM Architects)

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by ProjectEnd, Mar 8, 2016.

1. ProjectEnd

ProjectEnd Senior Member

New development application for a 3s building housing a Shoppers on the ground floor and office above. Architect is unknown at this point but it looks pretty cool!

9OivNYgP.
    sN8yDJMO.

Tx8zLdQs.

2. Froggy

Froggy Active Member

That's infinitely better than the typical suburban-looking, stucco-covered, one-storey Shoppers - like the one at Saint Clair and Bathurst.

3. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

Nice! At Via Italia, on the south side of St. Clair at the west end of the block to the west of Dufferin.

4. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

This is a very interesting project. The C of A hearing is March 31st. Rumour has it that we could see construction starting in April or May.

5. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

So, apparently the hearing yesterday for this site did happen. The variances were approved and now just the site plan needs to be approved. The city was supportive.

How long do you think it might take to get a site plan done? When do you think we could break ground here?

6. interchange42

Looking into it.

7. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

Any news?

8. interchange42

We expect to have some news at the end of this week.

9. P23

P23 Active Member

That's the nicest looking Shoppers I've seen, which isn't saying much I know. Looks pretty solid though.

10. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

I agree that it looks incredible. Loblaw will be spending over $1 billion on adding 50 new stores this year and renovating 150 others. Great story. I received the C of A decision via the mail yesterday stating the the proposed development is approved and the appeal date will expire on April 20th.

I dont know how long a SPA will take but I have been poking around and apparently it could take 6-8 weeks.

Froggy likes this.
  11. Mithras

Mithras Active Member

So does this mean the rumours of Shoppers at 928 St. Clair (Little Miss Dress Up / Bar 918) is dead? They are gutting the building as we speak.

12. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

Yes - That rumour is dead. However, there could be a separate SDM or Rexall or something else going in that site. It apparently will have retail on the main floor. That space is large so expect something exciting.

13. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

This development received an appeal and is now going to the OMB. What are your thoughts? As a local I am devastated that someone could appeal a Shoppers Drug Mart from coming to the area. Hearing date at the OMB has not be set yet. Does anyone know how long this will take to sort out?

14. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Senior Member

Its a minor variance, the developer probably appealed it themselves as they didnt get a satisfactory end to their minor variance hearing.

15. iDANIEL

iDANIEL Active Member

The planner involved told me today that the neighbour filed the appeal. Last year there was a dispute between the site in question and the neighbour over the existing laneway that will be lost in the re-development. SDM apparently won in court the right to re-develop onto/ over the laneway after the neighbour would not sell after many good offers apparently to buy out the neighbour.

I hear that the OMB is so booked up with hearings this site might not get a hearing date for at least 8 months.

Such a disappointment. The buildings in question to be developed have been abandoned/ empty for a few years now.

Froggy likes this.