Toronto 159SW Condos | 118.87m | 36s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

Mike in TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Brownfield site (currently a Beaver Gas station and donut shop) is for sale as a potential redevelopment site. The 0.305 acre site is located at the south-west corner of Wellesley Street East and Sherbourne Street.

Excellent! I've often walked past that and wished it would be replaced.

wow... another downtown gas station although it's not really well located

Twenty years from now gas stations will be obsolete. By 2030, you'll have mostly hydrogen etc powered cars; gas as backup engine with gas going for $10/litre sold at the grocery store. One litre of gas will last 500 miles in these future cars.

Potential condo marketing name: Beaver, the condo. "Where's my Beaver?" (Should sell out in a hurry, unlike Giraffe....)

Last edited:
I really couldn't care less if every gas station was to close downtown. Regardless, they won't be obsolete as long as a fuel source is needed. Hydrogen doesn't grow on trees either. Mass production will still require huge amounts of energy. It's not exactly something to go that gaga over.

Hydrogen future?

My limited understanding of hydrogen as a power source is that it's basically a dead end.

I've read online with enginers and scientists talk about how you can't store hydrogen since it has to generated by another power source and that the energy that goes into producing the hydrogen is more than the energy you get out.

It's a net loss. So they say the hydrogen economy will never appear.

But with Peak Oil and decling oil supplies forcing economies and societies to downsize in their consumption in the future, things are definitely going to change. Apparently most of the oil producing countries have gone into declines with their oil exports. Their fields have peaked and are in decline.

We're heading for a real nightmare of a energy crisis in the future. Oil powers everything in our civilization and we pretty much manufacture everything from petroleum.

Last edited:
tkip, you are exactly right. Hydrogen may be a way to store energy, but it is not a way of producing it. I laughed when I saw urbandreamer's post - Hydrogen - just 20 years away! In 1970, Hydroger was 20 years away - always 20 years away!

I wonder if Tridel would be interested in a Verve 2 at that location. I'd certainly rather see that than a Star of Downtown repeat.

That's awesome! As someone who lives at the Star of Downtown I would love to see that gas station and coffee shop go. Especially the coffee shop which is mainly used by prostitutes and drug dealers. I will miss having a gas station just a block away; but luckily there will still be another one Paliament.
Next to go is the Canadian Tire gas station at Wellesley and Jarvis

That's awesome! As someone who lives at the Star of Downtown I would love to see that gas station and coffee shop go. Especially the coffee shop which is mainly used by prostitutes and drug dealers. I will miss having a gas station just a block away; but luckily there will still be another one Paliament.
Next to go is the Canadian Tire gas station at Wellesley and Jarvis

As someone who frequents that gas station, I'd love to see Star of Downtown "go".

Dude, you can ridicule the Star of Downtown all you want but there is no other building in Toronto I'd rather live in:
1) Accross the street from a supermarket
2) Low condo fees
3) proximity to subway; TTC at doorstep
4) proximity to DVP
5) Proximity to Parliament
6) Accross the street from a library
7) A close knit community where pretty all of us know each other
8) Rooftop terrace with unobstructed downtown and lake views.
and so on and so on...
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that EVERYONE who purchased a unit there pre-construction has seen the value of his/her property rise by at least $100,000 in 2 short years.
Now, ridicule THAT!!!

Last edited:

Back