Toronto 1200 Bay | 326.5m | 87s | ProWinko | Herzog & de Meuron

Aren't we jumping to conclusion again? Sure Mizrahi is a developer but, even developers buy buildings with the intent to minimal upgrades. (If he even lands it in the first place)

I do wonder about the condition of the precast. Could it be in a similar situation to 480 University.

Though a little forewarning: architecturally speaking, it's roughly to its time what Stollery's was to *its* time. (Which I'm not presenting either as naysayer or as yeasayer. But if any of you are "pro-1200 Bay, anti-Stollery's", keep it in mind.)

Care to elaborate? Stollery's seemed to be a pastiche of styles assembled over the course of the last 100 years, whereas this seems to be a relatively true-to-form "beton-brut" office structure?

Care to elaborate? Stollery's seemed to be a pastiche of styles assembled over the course of the last 100 years, whereas this seems to be a relatively true-to-form "beton-brut" office structure?

"Importance", kiddo; "importance". 1200 may be "true to form"; but compared to the Colonnade or Manulife, it's minor spec stuff--at that point, the only thing *really* marking it as more "save-worthy" than Stollery's is that it's newer, solider stuff, and hence more embodied-energy-wasteful in the event of demolition.
And besides, glass penthouse aside (and it really *shouldn't* count), the principal aspect of Stollery's was, well, true-to-form 1920s Deco-Mediterranean carriage-trade commercial frontage with pretense. So, pretty much even steven (enough) there.

From that article:

Mr. Karp said: “Arguably one of the most coveted corners in Canada, it was the first time in 50 years the property was available. The sale process we implemented resulted in an overwhelming number of bids, from both private and institutional investors, Canadian and Foreign based that recognized the value of this iconic corner."

So the value lies in the location, more than the building itself? This definitely suggests to me that the buyers may intend to raze the building, and put a much taller sliver of a building on the lot.

They always talk about preserving heritage buildings from the the past. Why do they have to be 100 year old good looking buildings? There are nice looking detailed buildings from the baby boom age too! Such as this structure , 488 University Ave. and the Simpson tower. That are now being dismantled into another type of blue green building. These building facades should be preserved and incorporated into the new structure. For they are part of Toronto's history too! We wouldn't be talking about these buildings if we didn't care about them on urban Toronto.

Last edited:
I love that 'little ' building too. It represents a golden age age whenTO started to become ' modern' . I also wonder what we there before 1966?

I love that 'little ' building too. It represents a golden age age whenTO started to become ' modern' . I also wonder what we there before 1966?

Sept 12, 1929:
https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/request/Action?ClientSession=-38d203d4:1534036ee14:-7ce8&TemplateProcessID=6000_1580_11104&CMD_(DetailRequest)[0]=&ProcessID=6000_3224(0)&KeyValues=KEY_300265

ETA: Hmm, not sure. This one indicates a different building: https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...]=&ProcessID=6000_3224(0)&KeyValues=KEY_41517

Last edited:
@greenleaf: your links have expired. If you'd care to replace those with credited uploaded images, it would help!

New owners ProWinko and Kroonenberg will have to cooperate with the owners of 80 Bloor to the west, or one buy the other out, as neither of them will end up with a redevelopable site as far as the City is concerned.

Anyway, I like this building a lot. I like the deep precast window grid surrounding the building. I wonder, however, what life remains in the concrete, and I wonder if like at Global House, those are energy wasting single pane windows embedded in it.

It's hard to know just what to expect here. Any proposal is going to kick up considerable dust around here and at City Hall.

@greenleaf: your links have expired. If you'd care to replace those with credited uploaded images, it would help!

New owners ProWinko and Kroonenberg will have to cooperate with the owners of 80 Bloor to the west, or one buy the other out, as neither of them will end up with a redevelopable site as far as the City is concerned.

Anyway, I like this building a lot. I like the deep precast window grid surrounding the building. I wonder, however, what life remains in the concrete, and I wonder if like at Global House, those are energy wasting single pane windows embedded in it.

It's hard to know just what to expect here. Any proposal is going to kick up considerable dust around here and at City Hall.

Thanks for the heads up. I did a search via Toronto city archives. That site was acting funny on my iPad, so I thought that might happen.

They always talk about preserving heritage buildings from the the past. Why do they have to be 100 year old good looking buildings? There are nice looking detailed buildings from the baby boom age too! Such as this structure , 488 University Ave. and the Simpson tower. That are now being dismantled into another type of blue green building. These building facades should be preserved and incorporated into the new structure. For they are part of Toronto's history too! We wouldn't be talking about these buildings if we didn't care about them on urban Toronto.

Precast concrete curtainwall panels only last so long

Precast concrete curtainwall panels only last so long
So do those old Victorian buildings. But we restore them to remember our past. The same thing should happen to those nice looking baby boomer structures are all ready 40 to 60 years old soon to be 100 years in the future.
Heck!! They're don't want to knock down the Gardener expressway. They would rather preserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clay bricks can last several hundred years. Precast exterior panels will last at most 50 years. Brick weighs 5 pounds. A precast panel is around 5 tons. Many more options with damaged brick as well. It can be reversed or replaced with brick forming the inner layer ( for solid brick walls) .

The only option is to recreate which isn't preservation. Costly as well for something that isn't too popular.

Back