Toronto 12° / 12 Degrees Condos | 35.66m | 11s | BSäR Group | Core Architects

Though more than twenty years old now, this album cover could still come out tomorrow...

Ahh, cyclical media.

31687.jpg

City Planning Preliminary Report

This proposal is now 14 storeys ?

I suspect by not providing rental replacement housing (contrary to the Toronto Official Plan), that will be the cost a REFUSAL later for this project ~

To be considered by Toronto & East York Community Council on October 13, 2009 update:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23915.pdf

This application proposes a 14 storey residential building at 15-27 Beverley Street. Townhouses with separate entrances will be located along Beverley Street, at the base of a 3-storey podium, with a residential tower above. Access for parking and loading is located off the public laneway at the south side of the site. The proposal involves the demolition of the existing buildings on the site, including all of the residential rental dwelling units, with no replacement rental housing to be provided.

This report provides preliminary information on the above-noted application and seeks Community Council's directions on further processing of the application and on the community consultation process. A public meeting is scheduled for October 20th at 6:00 p.m. at City Hall.

Context Plan
15-27Beverley-1.jpg

Ground Floor Plan
15-27Beverley-2.jpg

Elevations
15-27Beverley-3.jpg
15-27Beverley-4.jpg
15-27Beverley-5.jpg
15-27Beverley-6.jpg

I'm really liking how this one is looking. Kinda reminds me of nBlox or Cube or whatever that one on College was (but taller).

Projects like these are representative of how fringe areas surrounding the downtown core should be redeveloped from this point forward. Incremental growth, gradual increases in population density, nothing big in terms of height, but taller than the current 2-3 story commercial buildings and detached houses.

This type of project is the way to go! Although the quality of architecture must be improved, I'd be happy if huge swaths of the city were gradually redeveloped in the manner seen on Charles between Bay and University. There is a combination of high rise, midrise, low rise, and enough heritage buildings remaining to remind us of the past without starving the street of greater population growth.

Hot building. I hope this moves ahead.

If the city is intent on preserving some element of the unappealing little rowhouse where Gehry spent some time (that is on this site now, and was added to the Inventory), I hope they don't advocate for part of the facade to be attached to this little beauty. Perhaps they could cleave off that portion of the facade and offer it to him as the basis of an art project to be placed near OCAD or in the Grange somewhere. I could see a few of his silvery fish or something ironically "Canadiana" floating through the brick front of the house he grew up in. Who knows, maybe the thought would apall him.

If it's fully preserved, this proposal is dead in the water. As much as we love Gehry and his recent contribution to the city, and as much as we love heritage, I'm of mixed opinion on this one. I wonder if he were asked, what he would say?

15-19BeverleySt.jpg

Some buildings are worth preserving. Some are not. That one's not. No need to fetishize the past. Put a plaque on 12 Degrees and move on. The good 'ol days are now.

I'm always strongly defending the preservation of our heritage structures, but in this case I'd be more than glad to sacrifice Gehry's old pad (which really is unremarkable) in order to make way for one of the best condo designs in the city. No regrets here.

Preserving this building is about recognizing that Frank Gehry grew up here in Toronto. He's probably the greatest architect of our time. If asked, he'd probably be modest and say that we shouldn't worry about it, but this is about keeping a physical reminder of the connection to Gehry, because these facts about are history have a way of slipping away.

Preserving the facade would be meaningless. Frank Gehry didn't design the facade; he lived in the home. You either preserve the house or nothing at all. The developers have invested in the architecture to win community support because they suspect it's going to be controversial and divisive. CORE's design could be built anywhere, but there's only one house like this.

Back