News   Apr 23, 2024
 972     0 

1190 Yonge St (@ Birch Ave, ?, 6s, ?)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:
Whoa. Is that railway track still in-use? If it is indeed this sliver, it will be *tight* against that.

Whoa. Is that railway track still in-use? If it is indeed this sliver, it will be *tight* against that.

If by 'Is that railway track still in-use? you are referring to the tracks crossing Yonge Street at the Summerhill LCBO store - yes, that is the CP Rail MAIN LINE between Quebec and Eastern Ontario, through Toronto, and then onto Western Canada, Western Ontario, and the United States. Very much still in use.

Indeed, trains on that railway rumble by about a block away from both my work in Summerhill and about two blocks away from where I live in Leaside. Hundreds of oiltankers every day. I guess it's best not to think about it.

Renderings:
viewSupportingDoc-191-4-1.jpg
viewSupportingDoc-191-4-3.jpg
viewSupportingDoc-191-4.jpg

Attachments

• viewSupportingDoc-191-4-1.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-191-4-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,250
  • viewSupportingDoc-191-4-3.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-191-4-3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,246
  • viewSupportingDoc-191-4.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-191-4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,322
Boy that's close to the rails. I wonder if the south side (which the above renders don't show) looks the same as the north, or if it is more of a wall to provide some sound abatement.

This property is still listed as for sale on the market. The asking price is: $1,500,000

An older article from 2017 but this excerpt provides some insight towards the difficulty in developing it:

YONGE & BIRCH
1190 Yonge St.

Proposed: Developer Frank Campoli has proposed a five-storey office building at 1190 Yonge St., on the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Birch Avenue across from the Summerhill LCBO. The site is adjacent to the Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) line to the south and Hydro One site to the west.

Complications: A vibration study conducted by Valcoustics Canada Ltd. found the CP train movements exceeded the Canadian National Railway guideline limits as well as the International Standards Organization (ISO) reference limits on the site. As a result, vibration mitigation measures will be required if the building is approved.

Back