News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The Troc used to be a nice old theatre, then a cinema, before it was gutted for a shopping mall.

The shame here is that the city expropriated the land for this. How can that ever be justified?

Well, instead of blaming the city, shouldn't it be laid upon the private enterprise who brought us this piece of work?

AoD

Can anybody tell me how different Metropolis is from what the old Montreal Forum is right now?

Dunno. Haven't been in the forum since I saw Whitney Huston's concert there, oh, 20 years ago in August.

Random thoughts...

The Forum AMC and dining/retail complex is a pretty dismal space. It's not along the busiest stretch of rue Sainte-Catherine in the evenings, so it has that going against it. The interior finishing is pretty shabby. They had a shell of a building to work within, as opposed to being able to put up an entirely new building. I dare say that Metropolis looks much better designed inside.

Metropolis

I don't know about you guys, but I have been eagerly anticipating this project since I was a Ryerson student and it was first announced. If only for the purposes of completing the square, and hiding the atrocious Ryerson parking garage, this project is extremely important. The Music Hall of Fame and additional movie theatres for our cinema starved downtown core are icing on the cake.

Re: Metropolis

It's different from the London Trocadero in that it only holds a cinema, and a former arcade/Sega World that has now closed. It also used to have a bowling alley, I believe. There was a very small shopping component only on the main entrance, with about ten shops. It's now used a lot of its corridors as a sort of market, with independent stalls selling junk.

Montreal Forum is different in that it's basically a big box outlet, with AMC, Future Shop, and a few restaurants. I can't remember what else is there, but it's more big box to Metropolis' shopping centre.

There's going to be a food court in Metropolis, as well as small in-line retail in addition to the Future Shop and big restaurants. It'll be like an extension to Eaton Centre as well, I reckon. I'm not sure about the square footage comparison of the three either. It does remind me of Metreon in San Francisco too, which was a (then) Sony Theatres, and a few other shops.

A more local comparison would be with the atrium on Bay complex to the West. Metropolis seems like a much better addition to the area. We need to compare apples to apples in our discussion. This isn't the site of the United Nations, it's a modern indoor mall and entertainment complex and the site's location is perfect for such a land use.

We need to remember who this is being built for. Primarily 905(ers) and American tourists. I don’t know anybody that lives in the city and shops down there. This is why the design doesn’t bother me at all. In fact I kind of like it. I just hate all the generic tenants that will be attracting suburban kid’s downtown like flies on shit.

Yes a Wolfgang Pucks, I can’t wait!

The website's gone...

"There's going to be a food court in Metropolis"

There's going to be 2 food courts in Metropolis.

Honestly now, why would someone from Mississauga and Oakville drive to downtown Toronto to eat at a Wolfgang Pucks when we already have one down the street from our house with FREE parking?

If you think someone living in the 905 is going to come to this, you better think again.

The whole project still sucks.

Also is that the best logo they could come up with? *shaking head* They should at least run a competition with the OCAD students who design the "Metropolitan Flavor" campaign now on display at BCE Place.

The only thing that helps it stands out is the new home of the Canadian Music Sports Hall of Fame. I've always advocated for some cultural venue to be built there instead and this is better than nothig. However, if the Olympic Spirit Centre is any indication it will end up looking incomplete and cheap.

I'm pleased to see that there will at least some new office space in the upper floors. I suspect it's because they knew they couldn't find any retail outlets for them, that and the odd shape and limited access to the floors.

I don't see anybody buying into the bottom floors. Might be a good opportunity for a nighclub or maybe an Olympic sized swimming pool? Toronto is lacking one of those!

Louroz

Bidini's currently in China doing a book reading and solo music tour.

I don’t know anybody that lives in the city and shops down there.

I live downtown and I'm known to shop in the area. I'll certainly be using the theatres.

I don’t know anybody that lives in the city and shops down there.

I live and shop downtown. Where am I going to shop, in a suburban mall? If I want to buy casual clothes, I head to the eaton centre, preferably on a weekday evening when it's not filled with tourists.

If I want running shoes, blinds, socks, office supplies, or even a TV, why wouldn't I shop at the eaton centre if I live downtown? I buy as much as I can from the local merchants on Parliament near where I live (it's amazing what Home Hardware sells!) but for most anything else, I walk to the eaton centre.

While I think metroplis is very ugly, I'm looking forward to not having hoarding up for another decade. And I will go to movies there since there are not enough movie theatres on the east side of downtown.

Back