Toronto 1 King West Hotel and Residence | 176.17m | 51s | Stinson | Stanford Downey

This could be a real gem if the cheap mullion windows were replaced with something with a better fit and finish. While I don't like the pre-cast, it's not the culprit for the cheap appearance of this tower.

I think they did a great job combining old and new--far better than the Bay Adelaide Centre West, for instance. It's a great tower, but the Postmodern design plays it safe and was dated from day one.

It's unfortunate having that bus shelter so close to the main entrance. It detracts from the grand design.

It might not be the main entrance today, but it appears that it was when the building was first occupied. The point is that this is an important aspect of the street presence for this building (aesthetically). We have few buildings in the city that offer such a bold presence. It would be nice to see the shelter shifted across the street, perhaps. Imagine having bus shelter around the entrance to Commerce Court North. Important buildings should be clear of clutter and have to their most imperative architectural features free of obstructions.

What I never understood is why handicap access to King Station wasn't added when this project was undertaken.
A total guess - putting an elevator down here would require a three elevators - one to the ticket booth and two more down to the platform level? The practical place to make the station accessible would be at the South end, through Commerce Court, where you would only need two.

Can we rename this thread to follow the standard UT naming convention? While the current title does reflect the first post (and accompanying news article), that was nine years ago and much has been discussed since then.

I have a request. Does anyone have any construction pictures of the excavation and footing construction for this tower?

I have a request. Does anyone have any construction pictures of the excavation and footing construction for this tower?

I literally have a million pictures of this building under construction.

Back