News   Apr 25, 2024
 62     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: 80

wow this is nuts! would like to see renderings showing the tower in context of the others at that intersection.

That's what I love about this forum. You spend six months refreshing the page as people wheeze out snarky remarks about Trump and Metropolis. Then, one evening, you stumble home to discover that suddenly everything's got serifs and they're building an 80-storey tower at Yonge and Bloor.

Awesome.

thanks and welcome to the forum!

i think the tower is really striking, it's fantastic. the other proposals before really pale in comparison. as for the base, i love it, it's bright imposing and clearly something to look at, it's fit for that intersection of Yonge/Bloor. Plus, if it's an adidas store, i hope it's like the one they have in NYC!

The billboards on the podium look great - but the podium just above the billboards looks lousy - like any generic suburban office park building.

This would have have been awesome at Dundas Square, but I'll take it. It'll fit just fine at this corner.

That's what I love about this forum. You spend six months refreshing the page as people wheeze out snarky remarks about Trump and Metropolis. Then, one evening, you stumble home to discover that suddenly everything's got serifs and they're building an 80-storey tower at Yonge and Bloor.

Awesome.

I thought the serifs were just something I was seeing on my browser. Amazing how irritating it is to read after all those years of sans-serif.

The "Toronto Landmark" tower complex would look fantastic downtown...doesn't look like it's going there though.

Some of these projects look almost made up just to fill out their portfolio.

As for 1 Bloor, I don't care too much for the tower. I like the liveliness of the base, but not the way it wraps around the box.

I would've prefered they just took the original 1BE design up to 80 storeys.

I certainly don't mind the building, and the base works for me, bringing some much needed life to the corner. but if it is indeed an office tower - where on god's green earth are they going to find tenants to fill the thing? and if it's another condo/hotel/whatever else project, how many more of these can toronto really sustain? unless, of course, they call for construction to start sometime in 2020. I guess that would be feasible.

but I like it. and I'm optimistic...despite what I've written above. really.

Roy Varacalli

Burka Varacalli - the great architects who brought us RoCP1-3. Thanks, but no thanks.

If they want the priviledge to build that high, one would hope that they'd come up with something better.

AoD

Burka Varacalli - the great architects who brought us RoCP1-3. Thanks, but no thanks.

somewhat nitpicky but Graziani + Corazza designed RoCP

I imagine this still has to go through the approval process. They have Kyle Rae at the news conference though so it must be far along?

This would have have been awesome at Dundas Square, but I'll take it. It'll fit just fine at this corner.

I concur, right where Hakim Optical or Torch now sits.

Sober second thought: 80 storeys are all well and good. And the design isn't actively hideous. But doesn't the corner of Yonge and Bloor deserve something better than this? Something to recognise the landmark? There's not a single new or distinctive idea in this design. It looks like an outsized Kazah office park. It could be an oil headquarters in Calgary or Houston. It would never get built in London. They don't have many skyscrapers there, but they make each one count...

And thank god the fonts are back to normal.

Sir Novelty, you are bang-on.

I wonder what a design review committee would do with this design? And why is it taking Miller so frickin' long to set one up (something with teeth)? Both this and ROCP3 cry out for a little help from some third parties.

Article on Bazis Tower

Tower plans for Yonge/Bloor

Known infamously as one ofthe ugliest corners in downtown Toronto,the intersection ofYonge and Bloor is about to be given a ritzy facelift.

Two weeks from now,Toronto-based developer Bazis International will unveil its plans to redevelop Canada’s “most important corner†at Yonge and Bloor streets. Bazis has acquired a one-acre property at 1 Bloor Street East on the southeast corner to build a mixed-use development featuring a nearly 80-storey tower with a four-storey double-height podium making it Toronto’s tallest residential/commercial build-
ing, claims Bazis president Michael Gold.

“This is an extremely important project for this corner—the armpit of the city,â€Councillor Kyle Rae said. “Although it’s the busiest intersection in Toronto,it is also the most embarrassing.This will make it fabulous.†“This is exactly where this project belongs.â€

Gold will unveil his plans,which are still being finalized,with Bazis’ architect Roy Varacalli, along with Rae on April 5. The news conference will be held in the Panorama Room on the top of the nearby ManuLife Centre, a vantage point that offers a bird’s eye view ofthe site. The location will also allow people to view the location of Bazis’first Toronto project,the 35-storey Crystal Blu condominium (Burka Varacalli Architects),which will soon break ground on Balmuto Street just south of Bloor. Known for developing mega-projects in Europe, the building on Bloor Street will mark the first time Gold has attempted a similar project in North America.

The project was first approved a number of years ago when a consortium of developers owned the various properties,which
were gradually bought. Originally approved for 60 storeys,the development initially planned to house a 10-screen Famous Players theatre.That has changed,however,since the theatre company was sold and Gold bought the building.

Under a Section 37agreement, the original project included $2 million for Bloor Street improvements,which Kyle expects will be included with the new plans.

Re: Article on Bazis Tower

Is there any Toronto streetcorner that the marketeers can't tout as the most important in the city? country? known universe?

Not that long ago, it was Yonge & Dundas. Now, apparently, it's Yonge & Bloor. I think you could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who attach any importance to either, given that nothing of any importance happens at either location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back