Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Revised renderings and designs will come at a later stage. For now, this consultation was largely about the massing and built form of the site. And yes, had its fair share of nervous Nellies.

I thought the tallest tower was repositioned to stand at the northeast corner of this block? That's how it is shown in the city model above.

Tower locations have changed since the city model from Toronto of the Future. Because it's still changing, that's why you haven't seen any new architectural plans yet. It's very expensive to spend time on the exterior expression, and then rendering it, if the massing is still up in the air. Once Pinnacle knows what it is allowed massing-wise (once they get their agreement with the City/decision from the OMB), you'll see new renderings after that. More on the tower placement and massing tomorrow!

I don't know. I feel like this is one of the few sites where the OMB should just approve whatever the developer has in mind. This is the foot of Yonge street after all.

CIN-V_0UMAAz2Cp.jpg:large

The foot of Yonge deserves something grand. That's not really in Pinnacle's International repertoire.

I prefer the massing as presented here over the original. This has actual depth when viewed from the lake. The original was just a tall wall of glass.

Though it could have been worse - imagine if G+C (or even P+S) was handling this instead of HP. The original was an exercise in cramming.

AoD

It didn't seem like the original was ever intended to be built- it was just a starting point for bargaining with the city.

I prefer the massing as presented here over the original. This has actual depth when viewed from the lake. The original was just a tall wall of glass.

I agree with this, the original proposal was FAR too dense. It reminded me of the "World's Tallest Block" in Dubai, which looks ridiculous.

Attachments

• Wotld\'s Tallest Block.jpg
    Wotld\'s Tallest Block.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 552
It didn't seem like the original was ever intended to be built- it was just a starting point for bargaining with the city.

Perhaps but, I think Pinnacle paid a little too much for the property and then was scrambling to fit as much square footage as possible. There's little in the way of density controls for developers to determine a value. They can get caught up in the bidding process like a family buying a new home.

Why does the city just not agree with it, instead of going through a decision from the OMB:confused:

Because the City has developed a plan for the area, and there are others living nearby, and those with businesses in the area, and everyone affected gets to voice their concerns…

but mostly because Pinnacle appealed to the OMB based on the City's failure to make a decision within the period required by law. Now that the OMB hearing date is set, the City and Pinnacle are working towards an agreement so that by the time of the hearing, the OMB will merely ratify their agreement. At least that's the plan, assuming the details are all ironed out by then.

How common is this? I'm surprised City staff would let this happen, and thus give such control to the OMB.

It's fairly common from what I've gathered. The Planning Department is so underfunded and understaffed they can't keep up with every single development in the city.

That's sad. But at the very least I would hope they would prioritize, and this project seems like it would be a very high priority for the City to control as much as possible.

Back