Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

what's up with Four Seasons and that black brick sorta material???.. they did it on the opera house and now on this... i material isn't bad, but please not at street level/entrance.. There isn't enough glass/windows at base level?? isn't that where they want all the attention??? doesn't really make sense to me.

Dec 03
6458474379_a3463ba596_b.jpg

6458475043_a658ec4cb3_b.jpg

6461026705_366cb7d389_b.jpg

6461025537_3662279d81_b.jpg

6461027967_ab55b06acb_b.jpg

Steve, that isn't brick but rather granite. If you'd been paying attention to this UT thread since 2006, the reason for the less glass coverage is to prevent terrorist attacks. Recall this tower was proposed c.2005, when possible terrorist attacks on NA soil were still being hyped in the media.

No matter--I think it looks faAntaAstic!

Steve, that isn't brick but rather granite. If you'd been paying attention to this UT thread since 2006, the reason for the less glass coverage is to prevent terrorist attacks. Recall this tower was proposed c.2005, when possible terrorist attacks on NA soil were still being hyped in the media.

TERRORIST ATTACKS!?!?! are you serious!! LOL! that's crazy but cool at the same time!// funny why this would be viewed as a "terrorist target" lol!

ya, i have no problem with the granite, but just due to the fact that it is where it is,

It is my view that the black granite is a sleek and sophisticated streetscape addition that offsets the predominance of the (admittedly beautiful) glass that dominates the tower's construction. A glass and stone combination is one of my favorite juxtapositions, and while I await the finished product, as it stands the base of the tower looks wonderful.

Unless their was earlier confirmation that I missed, I'd say the stone looks more like slate. I could be wrong though. Whatever it is, it looks great, and I agree that the stone and glass juxtaposition looks even better. aAnother winner.

Back in the day we were so worried about the podium... but it does look quite dramatic, the black stone with the little slit windows and how it contrasts with the transparent glass of the tower. I think it's going to be really sharp, especially with the floral entrance glass to give a friendlier effect.

It's very very different from the original podium design that looked inspired by the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts and its transparent City Room, but I think what we got is, in its own very different way, a successful idea.

As for what urbandreamer said, you can tell just by looking at how the podium was constructed that it's not actually fortified in any way... I highly doubt there was really any concern about preventing bomb blasts here.

Lick this glass Aura!

066mp.jpg

See folks, the difference between architecture by engineers and the budget guys (G+C/Aura) vs those who take their art seriously (aA/4$) is obvious here.

for me, it's particularly the left side of this shot where there is a big wall with no glass.. the black portion on the right side where there are rectangular cut outs are fine, but the blank wall area is kinda out of place.. it's not balanced with the pattern they had going on the right

Steve, hope this photo explains why the blank wall is part of the whole aesthetic package--it serves as a nice break between the narrow strips of glass and the large expanse of glass to the north of the entrance. The vertical strips of glass surrounded by black slate/granite continues on the north facade, as you can see a work in progress:

065kd.jpg

Compare to Aura where the glazing is just thrown up without consideration of the concrete support structure--as seen in Caltrane's latest photos where the glass frames don't line up with the vertical support beams--very very cheap!

it'll grow on me ^^^
but looking at that photo, i'm equally worried about the north side.. with those random cut outs of glass they have going there... kinda awkward.

By all accounts, so far an excellent looking building - finely honed, technologically savvy, airily and delicately proportioned, with inventive voids and niches to engender a sense of appropriate solidity where needed.

It's looking great on the skyline as well. The outsize amount of money poured into this particular resort for the wealthy seems to be paying off.

Back