Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

For our second instalment on TIFF Bell Lightbox, Urban Toronto does a swing of the exterior, starting at street level on King, up to the roof, back down again, and around to John St

Text by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

A view of TIFF Bell Lightbox from across King St W. A broad canopy shelters the main King St entry and defines a generous arcade that wraps around the corner of the building to John Street.

TIFFP1170497.jpg

An LED ticker embedded in the side of the canopy displays shifting patterns of light and colour, which are highly visible even in full sun.

TIFFP1170495.jpg

Heading out to the rooftop terrace of TIFF Bell Lightbox containing the striking ‘Malaparte’ screening area.

TIFFP1170469.jpg

The outdoor amphitheatre makes reference to the roof of the Villa Malaparte on the Island of Capri that is an icon of film and architecture.

TIFFP1170473.jpg

On the left, Matthew Wilson, project architect for KPMB, takes in the view.

TIFFP1170479.jpg

Looking east toward the Financial District from the top of the Malaparte Amphitheatre.

TIFFMalaparte1097pano.jpg

TIFFP1170482.jpg

Heading back down to King St with M5V Condos poking up from behind.

TIFFP1170470.jpg

TIFFP1170494.jpg

The underside of the King St canopy is activated by successive light strips that glow and pulsate in alternating rhythms.

TIFFP1170487.jpg

TIFF Bell Lightbox is designed to be highly animated at street level, with restaurants, galleries, theatres, and other gathering places ensuring lots of activity day and night.

TIFFP1170488.jpg

A sequence of moving images on screens affixed to the building’s support columns beneath the canopy will enliven the sidewalk and draw the eye directly to the box office and two-storey lobby.

TIFFP1170491.jpg

Rounding the corner to John St and the entrance to Festival Tower, glazed in red and still very much under construction, which brings us to the end of this report on TIFF Bell Lightbox. Next up, Urban Toronto takes you inside. So, stay tuned!

TIFFP1170490.jpg

The entrance is complete-- these (wonderful and much-appreciated!) photo updates on Bell Lightbox are not completely up to date.

Last night I went down to see it around 10pm ... the condo entrance looked mostly complete from what I saw.

Nobody is moving into the tower for a while still anyway... but the sidewalk out front on John is open now. Inside the Lightbox you'll see over the next week that most public spaces are finished now, but not necessarily filled with all of the furniture (and therefore the programming) that will be in place ultimately. In any case as of Monday the Lightbox will, for all intents and purposes, be fully functioning film-festival-wise, and I believe that festival attendees are going to be pretty thrilled with the facility.

by me

[video=youtube;XIx2PBC7lIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIx2PBC7lIQ[/video]

[video=youtube;47NKzHu_fWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47NKzHu_fWU[/video]

Back