News   Mar 28, 2024
 72     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 163     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 243     0 

Downtown Yonge

Jazz Bistro to open in former Top 'O the Senator location: http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/rumours-rumblings/2012/12/17/jazz-bistro/

Come February, Toronto’s long-defunct Top O’ The Senator space will once again be filled with jazz and other live music, six nights a week, under a new (and apt) name: Jazz Bistro. Colin Hunter, who founded Sunwing Travel Group and is a crooner himself, bought the building last year, and, given the loss of The Trane Studio in August, the timing is excellent. The sprawling three-floor space will feature a stage, a full-service dining room, a second-floor balcony overlooking the stage, two bars and a semi-private dining room, as well as a private events space and a rooftop patio (an A/V system will let everyone tune into the performance whether they can see the stage or not).

Aji Sai is opening where Toko Sushi used to be at Yonge and Isabella.

I wish something could be done about the noise from the NYC Collection stores in the 501 Yonge block (east side, between Alexander and Maitland). The two stores, but especially the south one, blare an incredibly annoying "the boss just called and told me to clear out all the nikes and timberlands..." message over and over. Even when you're across Yonge you can't escape it. If businesses get in trouble for putting out signboards on the sidewalk, why can't they get in trouble for putting speakers out on the street?

They do. Report it and someone might look into it. I know of places that have been threatened with fines unless they remove speakers from the street.

They do. Report it and someone might look into it. I know of places that have been threatened with fines unless they remove speakers from the street.

Where can I report it to? My councillor or is there some city number to call? 311?

New here...and I have to voice my frustration about Aura condo's retail spaces at Gerrard and Yonge. That area is usually quiet at night. I had high hope that with the new condo, new spaces, new wide side walk, there are great potential for patios and restaurants and bars. Instead, we are getting a RBC and BMO??? Come on! What a waste! Those spaces should not be allowed for service orientated offices because they don't open late, and close early on weekends. They can have somewhere not doesn't required wide side walk.

Those banks should have been on the second floor or located in the basement. The main floor retail should have been destination retail. They made a huge mistake here. Marshall's opens April 4th but I don't think it's going to do so well, as BB&B is not bringing in the customers. Creating the right retail mix is not as easy as people think. You need destination retail that creates the right synergy to attract shoppers. I can't see that basement mess as helping the situation but I guess you can't really judge, until it's filled with stores.

Last edited:
Those banks should have been on the second floor or located in the basement. The main floor retail should have been destination retail. They made a huge mistake here. Marshall's opens April 4th but I don't think it's going to do so well, as BB&B is not bringing in the customers. Creating the right retail mix is not as easy as people think. You need destination retail that creates the right synergy to attract shoppers. I can't see that basement mess as helping the situation but I guess you can't really judge, until it's filled with stores.

What makes you think BB&B isn't doing well ? Not agreeing or disagreeing just curious what you are basing it on. If you visit the store and find it not busy, keep in mind most BB&B outlets (in the states and Canada) are never very busy, as is the case which most big box stores like this (e.g. home outfitters).

The Bed Bath & Beyond is definitely dead. There's never a lineup for the registers, and I count more staff than customers when I'm there for sure.

The Bed Bath & Beyond is definitely dead. There's never a lineup for the registers, and I count more staff than customers when I'm there for sure.

It's like that at every Bed Bath & Beyond though, even in the suburbs. I always wonder how these companies make their money.

It's like that at every Bed Bath & Beyond though, even in the suburbs. I always wonder how these companies make their money.

Right exactly !

I've been to many BB&B, at least in the GTA area ... they're always dead ! I think that's fine / expected for these stores, I don't think they need a lot of traffic.

So I disagree with the fact that the one downtown is empty (relatively speaking compared to others), until someone who works at the store tells me otherwise ;)

Back