News   Mar 28, 2024
 130     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Cabbagetown

i just saw this...I thought it apropos

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

i just saw this...I thought it apropos

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, but how could the ramblings of an 18th century aristocratic, slave-owning white man, born into one of the richest families in the US have anything credible to say about either liberty, or the social problems of 21st century Toronto?

Sorry, but how could the ramblings of an 18th century aristocratic, slave-owning white man, born into one of the richest families in the US have anything credible to say about either liberty, or the social problems of 21st century Toronto?

You don't see relevant themes in Shakespeare?

Your point here is terrible.

You don't see relevant themes in Shakespeare?

Your point here is terrible.
I always ignore the Newbies until they've got something intelligent to contribute. Honestly, I always think it odd that some Newbie's very first posts are negative or critical of others. When I go as a newcomer to a party of longtime friends I'd never start criticizing the points and opinions of those present until I'd at least learned the names of those present and got to know everyone. Just my two pennies.

I had a big rambling about everything wrong with this, but then I realized I was getting sucked in to the trolling game. No dice.

Still, I feel compelled to declare the following. Mentioning Mr. Jefferson's race while dismissing his ideas in the way you have implies a connection between his race and the (perceived) uselessness of his ideas. This is blatantly racist, and offensive.

I'd forget about the Newbie, he's trying to hijack the topic with such silliness.

On a more interesting, IMO, tone...as I posted on the Out and About section, I just had breakfast this morning at Chew Chews Diner in Cabbagetown, see http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/2008/02/this-week-were-starting-our-valentines.html

I went there last night for coffee and said to myself that I must return with my wife for breakfast after we drop off the kids at Winchester Public School this morning. I had the eggs Florentine and it was excellent. The decor is wonderful and the view of St. Peter's historic church from the back dining room is pleasant.

A much better Cabbagetown breakfast IMO than at Johnny Gs on Parliament, where the toast I had last week seemed to be buttered in lard.

Yes, i made a quick mention of going to Chew Chew's about a page before this.
It's much better than Johhny G's, and you still get 3 eggs with everything. The hollandaise sauce is exactly like the kind Mark and Spencer's makes in a jar. Which is to say, awesome.
And shredded potato hash browns? That ain't not bad, either.

The hashbrowns were very good, the best I've tasted in ages.

They're soggy and terrible at any Goldengrill restaurant, not great at Sunset Grill or Johnny Gs.

The Chew Chew hashbrowns are definitely tops, with, I think, just a hint of HP or other spice in there.

Glad to hear that Chew's Chew's is decent. I was rooting for them when I found out they were moving in. The Parliament to Sherbourne strip on Carlton desperately needs stable and successful retail and service.

The brunch at Stonegrill on Sundays is great: Not too expensive, and the food is brunch-done-well (not soggy or greasy).

Parliament has been a mess the past few days. They're laying down some kind of piping...

My own little part of trying to spruce up Carlton was to put in the new sign in front of St. Peter's Anglican Church, as I'm one of the Wardens there. The old sign looked tired, as if no one cared about the building. Next step is to get the garden looking nice.

Keep an eye out for some witty sayings on the sign, as we've got a book of church sign sayings now. My plan with the sign was to capture the attention and amuse those walking along Carlton, which is why we changed the orientation of the from parallel to perpendicular to the sidewalk.

Parliament has been a mess the past few days. They're laying down some kind of piping...

It's a new gas pipe, i saw a notice in "Sharon's" store (503 parliment) warning of it last week. They're going right down the street, and they were POUNDING at 7:30 this morning. Very uncool.

I've not been to the stone grill yet, but i will, thanks for the tip!

Oh, and i would be amiss if i didn't mention Daybreak at Carlton and Church (SE corner). It's pretty good, too, and it's the biggest menu I've been able to find in the area (they do Huevos Rancheros and such - with refried black beans, no less). The portions are enormous, and almost every breakfast comes with pancakes. Worth checking out if you haven't eaten in days.

My own little part of trying to spruce up Carlton was to put in the new sign in front of St. Peter's Anglican Church, as I'm one of the Wardens there. The old sign looked tired, as if no one cared about the building. Next step is to get the garden looking nice.

Keep an eye out for some witty sayings on the sign, as we've got a book of church sign sayings now. My plan with the sign was to capture the attention and amuse those walking along Carlton, which is why we changed the orientation of the from parallel to perpendicular to the sidewalk.
I just moved to the corner of Ontario & Prospect in September and my wife always mentions when this sign changes as she walks past it every day. I was in Florida on business and she stopped and took a picture of it when it said "For the questions Google can't answer..." and sent it to me (I am in IT so I found this one particularly amusing). Nice to find the person responsible. Keep it up! :)

Back