News   Mar 28, 2024
 87     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

...no, because labelling anybody who criticizes the TTC as somehow having an agenda and being anti-Transit City, anti-St. Clair and even anti-Transit.

It's something akin to when American Republicans suggest that anyone who opposes a government policy are unAmerican.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Steve Munro didn't label anybody anything. Go back and read it again slowly.

After looking at the photos on Steve Munro's site (through Google's cache), I have to say that this is the telephoto effect. In a number of his photos it is clear that the telephoto lens compressed the distance and exaggerated the width making it look like the tracks shift many feet with in a short distance. While the normal picture shows that the bends are more spread out. Is this right? No but it is far from an unmitigated disaster. This is what happens when you try to please all parties.

Exactly, the effect is magnified many times because of the telephoto lens. The track really isn't all that bad as shown by the “conventional” view.
Besides, I've operated heavier and faster equipment on rails that were much more squiggly than that with no problems.

People that don't know what their talking about shouldn't criticize something that they don't understand.
Aesthetically its not very pleasing but functionally its perfectly fine.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Steve Munro didn't label anybody anything. Go back and read it again slowly.

He did suggest that the pictures might b used for nefarious purposes. Now unless somebody has an agenda where would that kind of suggestion come from? That kind of thinking is awfully close (too much for comfort) to the idea that if you criticize the construction you are anti-St. Clair ROW or anti-TC. Besides which, what's wrong with being anti-TC? In previous posts and comments, he's come awfully close to suggesting that anti-TC = anti-Transit. And that just does not sit well with me.

I respect the man. I think he's brilliant. I think his transit advocacy work is on balance great for the city. But I do think his views are a little tainted.

He did suggest that the pictures might b used for nefarious purposes.

So all those posts on this very thread of people declaring this was absolute incompetence by the TTC/City/contractor, that streetcars would derail, that passengers would be seasick, speeds would have to be minimized, all based purely on the telephoto shots are not nefarious? I read them as demanding all kinds of people's heads on a platter.

Apparently, had these posters actually visited St Clair W or done a comparison with the Yonge to Bathurst section (which seems to run fine without the suggested negatives) that appears to show the same degree of 'squiggliness' (or minimal squiggliness in non-telephoto shots), they might not be so quick to jump to the conclusions they did.

i drive a streetcar and if you look at any of the tracks none of them are perfectly straight. the final outcome of this whole discussion will arise in a couple of weeks when the row. opens further. then everyone can decide when a streetcar rolls down the right of way and no disasters happen. until that time everyone needs to calm down

Apparently, had these posters actually visited St Clair W or done a comparison with the Yonge to Bathurst section (which seems to run fine without the suggested negatives) that appears to show the same degree of 'squiggliness' (or minimal squiggliness in non-telephoto shots), they might not be so quick to jump to the conclusions they did.

Conclusions might not have been jumped to so quickly if the TTC were a competent organization and the city could actually coordinate infrastructure projects properly.

Conclusions might not have been jumped to so quickly if the TTC were a competent organization and the city could actually coordinate infrastructure projects properly.

True, but the point is, conclusions were jumped to without knowing all the facts.

Usually if you are going to criticize something, it helps to ensure you know what you are talking about before making absolute statements. That has nothing to do with whether or not the TTC is a competent organization and the city can coordinate infrastructure projects properly.

Quick Question

Sorry to interrupt but I didn't want to create a new thread and couldn't find the existing one--

Where is the thread for EGLINTON LRT/underground LRT system?

And when is it most likely to start construction? Is it the first Transit City Line, or second or third?

Thanks!!!

Sorry to interrupt but I didn't want to create a new thread and couldn't find the existing one--

Where is the thread for EGLINTON LRT/underground LRT system?

And when is it most likely to start construction? Is it the first Transit City Line, or second or third?

Thanks!!!

Use 'Search' next time... http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6269&highlight=eglinton

It still is undergoing EA me thinks... but save that question for the other thread.

I'm afraid I started all this, because I brought the picture to Steve Munro's attention.

Steve's post is just damage control. The line looks like shit, and it's not a telephoto effect. His pics look better because the distance is out of focus. A human eye must have noticed all those zig zags before a camera was focused on it.

There's a difference between being against light rail in general, and being against light rail in Toronto. The TTC has a very poor track record with light rail, and for this reason, I don't support its expansion in Toronto.

Deep down, Steve knows this, but he simply can't let go of his light rail fantasy. He's devoted his entire life to getting Transit City built, and it's rather sad, because there definitely will be a backlash against the system once it's built.

The TTC has a very poor track record with light rail, and for this reason, I don't support its expansion in Toronto.
Design and engineering work could never possibly be outsourced to a different firm, right?

Design and engineering work could never possibly be outsourced to a different firm, right?

Oh, give it up! This utopian theoretical light rail ideal that you all subscribe to does not exist.

St. Clair was the TTC's chance to showcase light rail and do it right. They messed up terribly ... period, end of story. Not only is the new line far worse than the old one, but they've completely ruined a whole avenue in the process. All I see is ugly rough uneven concrete everywhere and a street that is divided.

All this to save five <expletive deleted> minutes?

Back