406     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 291     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 318     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised nobody posted this yet, but Keith Olberman has singled out Rob Ford for "worst person in the world":

http://current.com/shows/countdown/videos/worst-persons-glenn-beck-wonderland-party-and-rob-ford

I expected the Ford trainwreck to reach national audiences, but I never thought it would be reported internationally.

And to those who defend Ford (which on this forum is basically down to just AG and spider) and whine about how the media spend too much time covering him, well, watching Rob Ford implode is incredibly popular and newspapers and TV can make a ton of money off him. Every Rob Ford article on the G&M seems to generate about 1,000 comments minimum - a recent one had 3,250 comments (most articles generate about 300 tops). I bet the This Hour Has 22 Minutes episode had the highest ratings for that show in years.

The only media outlet that still seems to be defending Ford is the Sun and, if they want to miss out on this cash cow, that's their prerogative.

Beating out Glenn Beck is quite an achievement.

Ford is no longer considered by many to be a legitimate politican - he is not someone that people expect to govern or lead. He won't even be criticized in a manner deserving of a politician, but basically is consigned to being a walking pinata for the rest of his term.

For anyone paying attention, his 10 years as the joke on council solidified that before he even ran for mayor.

What blindsided most (especially the other mayoral candidates), was the populist uprising that nobody saw coming. We were too busy snickering at the Americans and their Tea Parties and thinking how something like that could never in a million years happen in good ole progressive Toronto. Surprise!!!

That's why the more Ford acted like a dumb ass, and the more it was pointed out in the media....simply made him more appealing to the populist voters. Of course it's stupid....but that's how it works. During a populist uprising, the traits you would normally seek in a "leader" get switched. That's why you end up with "downtown elites" and pinko bicycle riders, and educated, articulate people with their books and culture become the bad guy. And someone so blatantly stupid as Rob Ford (both his image and his policies) can end up winning the day.

Let's just be glad that it was into Rob Ford's hands we fell during this populist uprising. Even the die-hards will snap out of it, as one can only deny the total failure of Ford for so long....and the train wreck is only beginning...the chickens really haven't come home to roost yet. It would have been worse if John Tory would have run instead. He would also have probably won the populist vote (although has he ever had a job his daddy didn't hand him on a silver platter). His conservative-thinking damage would have been far more stealthy.

"walking pinnate"...so fitting (even the visual).

It would have been worse if John Tory would have run instead. He would also have probably won the populist vote (although has he ever had a job his daddy didn't hand him on a silver platter). His conservative-thinking damage would have been far more stealthy.

Or in the eyes of certain of the Miller left, if Smitherman won over Pantalone.

Though an interesting supposition I've had: what if, in 2003, had earlier polls carried out into election day and it leveraged into a Hall vs Nunziata race (with Miller reduced to a Pantalone-esque also-ran, and Tory knocked out of orbit a la Rocco Rossi)? I suspect that in the end, Nunziata--the purest "Lastman/Ford populist-appeal" candidate in the race--might have vanquished early frontrunner Hall; that it turned into a Miller-Tory race instead really dodged a bullet...

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody posted this yet, but Keith Olberman has singled out Rob Ford for "worst person in the world":

http://current.com/shows/countdown/videos/worst-persons-glenn-beck-wonderland-party-and-rob-ford

I expected the Ford trainwreck to reach national audiences, but I never thought it would be reported internationally.

And to those who defend Ford (which on this forum is basically down to just AG and spider) and whine about how the media spend too much time covering him, well, watching Rob Ford implode is incredibly popular and newspapers and TV can make a ton of money off him. Every Rob Ford article on the G&M seems to generate about 1,000 comments minimum - a recent one had 3,250 comments (most articles generate about 300 tops). I bet the This Hour Has 22 Minutes episode had the highest ratings for that show in years.

The only media outlet that still seems to be defending Ford is the Sun and, if they want to miss out on this cash cow, that's their prerogative.

I love the fact that Keith Oberrman is mocking Rob Ford. This call 911 incident is 'right up there', in my opinion, as one of Ford's most ridiculous moves.

Who is Keith Olberman?

Keith Olberman is

is an American political commentator and writer. He is the host of Countdown with Keith Olbermann on Current TV, an approximately hour-long nightly commentary program, and the Chief News Officer of the Current TV network. A former sportscaster and news anchor, Olbermann hosted Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC for almost eight years before moving the show to Current TV. The new show began airing June 20, 2011.

Olbermann spent the first twenty years of his career in sports journalism. He was a sports correspondent for CNN and for local TV and radio stations in the 1980s, winning the Best Sportscaster award from the California Associated Press three times. He later co-hosted ESPN's SportsCenter from 1992 to 1997. After leaving ESPN amid controversy, Olbermann became a sports anchor and producer for Fox Sports Net from 1998 to 2001, during which time he hosted Fox's studio coverage of baseball.

After leaving Fox, Olbermann re-joined MSNBC after a hiatus, hosting Countdown with Keith Olbermann from 2003 until 2011. Olbermann established a niche in cable news commentary, gaining note for his pointed criticism of major politicians and public figures, directed particularly at the political right. He feuded with rival Fox News Channel commentator Bill O'Reilly and strongly criticized the George W. Bush administration and John McCain's unsuccessful 2008 Presidential candidacy. Although he has said on at least one occasion "I'm not a liberal; I'm an American", many describe Olbermann as a liberal.

from Wilkipedia.

To me, it means that Rob Ford has made it to the United States news, not just GTA news or Canadian news. It also puts Toronto in a negative light for the rest of the world because of Rob Ford.

You are kidding..Right:confused::D:D

I agree that "the rest of the world" is a bit of an exaggeration but Mr Ford's antics as "The fucking Mayor of Toronto" and his record as a Councillor (swearing at the Leafs game and saying he wasn't there until photos emerged) are starting to be known outside Toronto and now outside Canada. It is NOT good for the image of our City and I fear that more 'incidents' will occur in the next 3 years. While I certainly object to most of his "POLICIES" (and do not think most are likely to make our City better) it is his behavour that is really so damaging to the image.

I agree that "the rest of the world" is a bit of an exaggeration but Mr Ford's antics as "The fucking Mayor of Toronto" and his record as a Councillor (swearing at the Leafs game and saying he wasn't there until photos emerged) are starting to be known outside Toronto and now outside Canada. It is NOT good for the image of our City and I fear that more 'incidents' will occur in the next 3 years. While I certainly object to most of his "POLICIES" (and do not think most are likely to make our City better) it is his behavour that is really so damaging to the image.

During the past year, Rob Ford tried to stay out of the limelight by having others talk for him. This only has led to more hunting for stories of Rob and to scenes like 22 minutes. Should Rob go back into hiding, the hunt for stories will intensify.

Should others do the talking for him? They might end up, if not already, being considered a stooge for Rob and put themselves in a bad light as well.

During the past year, Rob Ford tried to stay out of the limelight by having others talk for him.

When you aren't capable of of a coherent statement...even if you're reading it off a piece of paper, what are you supposed to do? But when the "others" in question are his brother Doug and Giorgio Mammoliti, he's probably better off on his own believe it or not. He's the bumpkin Toronto has temporarily adopted...not anybody else.

Dougy reads those articles that call him the "brains" of family, but doesn't fathom just how much faint praise that represents. Mammoliti on the other hand, might actually be dumber than Rob.

The Rob Ford "Inner Circle". WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back