News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

looking for specific architectural details

D

davido

hello
I'm a photographic artist looking for a specific style of architectural detail in the GTA. I would l like to do a series of these details and am requesting your help in finding other examples of this type of architecture in the city.
I have attached an example. I'm also curious if there is a name for this modernist style?
thanks
david

Attachments

• urbandesign.jpg
    urbandesign.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 203
That's Uno Prii's parking garage at 77 Elm, an example of Brutalism and an outstanding celebration of all that concrete can achieve. There's a new book out, Concrete Toronto: A Guide to Concrete Architecture from the Fifties to the Seventies published by Coach House Books, that contains many other examples and explains the contemporary context within which they were built.

Concrete Toronto Book Launch Today (Nov 1)

thanks Urban Shocker.
For those interested: It turns out that the book launch for 'Concrete Toronto: A Guide to Concrete Architecture from the Fifties to the Seventies' is today (November 1) in the members lounge at City Hall. There is also an evening launch at Empire Lounge. Both authors Michael McClelland and Graeme Stewart will be present.
http://www.chbooks.com/content/?q=events/nov_1_concrete_toronto_launch_in_toronto

Quite a gathering of UT boldface, past and present, last night - luggee, BobBob, Sean Micallef, adma, Citywriter, moi ...and maybe others in disguise. I met a writer friend, and even a woman who worked with Darkstar in Bramalea! I went expecting a pleasant half hour and stayed for three - chatter, drinkies and nibblies ( the trick is to stay close to the kitchen ). Had a nice talk with the great Macy DuBois as soon as I arrived - he don't think much of the Crystal and even less of OCAD, which sure surprised me. The good widow Prii held court at a table nearbye. All sorts of other architects, designers etc. My kind of slightly tipsy, mingly event.

Oh, and what a great little book ( dreary cover though ), an invaluable resource for anyone interested in what's unique about Toronto architecture in the post-WW2 years and, therefore, how we got here from there.

A mighty fine night for chicky-checking, too - some sort of casting call downstairs with dozens of honies, mostly tres glam young black women of about 20 and the occasional equally lovely young man. I thought they deserved to meet me, so I went down and said hello to some in line. None of them seemed to think I should take the audition, though.

And so, home to bed.

Yeah, a *real* cultural disjuncture btw/upstairs + downstairs there...

I should have like to have bumped into Macy Dubois. I went to school with his daughter and spent a day at Dubois Plumb when I was but a whelp. US, did you venture to talk with him regarding 45 Charles? Assuming he's not happy about its impending demise, I should like to commiserate.

I didn't get the chance. Indeed, what a shame about that building.

When Mr. Canadian Architectural Royalty introduced himself my head was rather spinning, trying to remember what he'd done - I knew there was something big at Expo, and New College, and many, many others, and that he'd been around forever - astonishing to think that he was shortlisted for the City Hall design competition when he was still a student!

He said he's doing a lot of travelling. He'd toured the new AGO galleries, sounded pleased with them, and spoke well of Gehry. But he had reservations about how the glazing on the Dundas Street side would work out - and when jaborandi and I walked past on Saturday we thought the same. I don't believe he's still designing and he said he'd never taught, though he said that this would be a good time for him to do so.

Macy DuBois interviewed about 45 Charles Street East completed 1966 ( from Concrete Toronto ):

Macy DuBois: " This client was a contractor who had done work for us in concrete at the university and had concrete forms left over from it that they wanted to reuse on the new building. I think they also wanted to cut down on the number of trades they had to deal with. If they did the skin and structure in concrete, they could do it themselves. If not, they would have to have a subcontractor do the exterior.

So I designed a building for them of cast-in-place concrete using the available formwork. I used the form joint texture on the concrete. One thing I always enjoyed about palaces from the Italian Renaissance is that they tended to have more heavily textured walls closer to people and they'd lighten the texture as they went up. I used contemporary materials to achieve the same thing here.

A large consideration for the design was that it was mid-block of Charles Street. I figured people would be coming from the side. I shaped the building and the forecourt to respond to this. Being angled to the street is actually more attractive than being parallel.

There is also the generous use of outdoor terraces here, something unique for an office building. We made the third-level terrace parallel to the street, but we turned the building above it at an angle and we really enjoyed the angled views that came from that. It also helped us separate ourselves from our neighbours, and our neighbours certainly appreciated that we weren't so close to them. We also put plantings all through the building. We felt that bringing planting up onto the building would be a wonderful experience for an office building. We maintained the one mature tree on the site in a trapezoid planter, which we felt was important to do."

Larry Richards: " Isn't there a little bit of Frank Lloyd Wright's remarkable Price Tower at work here? "

Macy DuBois: " This one definitely has a touch of the Price Tower feeling. Wright changed the upstand on every second horizontal. That's what I was thinking about when I approached this, because I loved the simple way it changed the scale of the building."

Paul Scrivano: " I found it very interesting that, in designing 45 Charles Street, you adopted almost the same principle one can find in the rustication of Florentine palaces of the Renaissance, such as the Palazzo Rucellai. You see there's a difference in the way the concrete is treated at this level and it changes. You used concrete out of technological, functional needs, but actually you were able to use the concrete for formal expression. "

Macy DuBois: " It's not that you want to apply the decoration as much as you want to make it part of the elements you use on your building. I like to reduce the number of materials I use in a building as much as I can. As I said earlier, I like to use the same materials on the inside. It's completely possible to take the other approach and completely change the materials on the inside, as is done with most of the houses built in Canada. Drywall, and the outside is brick or whatever. "

E.R.A: " There is a quote in Progressive Architecture from August 1967, and it's very flattering. Speaking of 45 Charles East, it says, 'Canadian architecture, remarkably producing quality building after quality building at a tremendous rate, has turned out a small speculative office building that puts all the by-the-yard glass and metal stuff that is still proliferating in the U.S. to shame.' And finishes by saying, 'New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, take heed.' Reading this, it's almost quite shocking to think of the environment you were working in: Toronto at centre stage and you and your colleagues at the forefront. So the climate was obviously very special. Charles Street and Central Tech seem to be a precedent-setting use of concrete; it seems to be a recurring theme. "

Macy DuBois: " I didn't do these things because I wanted to show a common theme so much as a common approach to the problem. In order to solve it, you attack the problem based on the context, based on the client, based on the money and based on the need. As an example, the next project to talk about is the Ontario Pavillion at Expo 67, and it's a completely different building ..."

My fingers bled, but it was worth it. I like how DuBois stole an idea from the Renaissance without producing a Renaissance building, and how the rusticated surface was an element in the building rather than a decorative add-on to it.

"Good artists copy. Great artists steal"
-Picasso

Dubois also designed a small office building overlooking the 401 on the north side just east of the Allen. Gramercy Park condos are going in close to that - - - or are they replacing it too?

Dubois buildings that aren't threatened here right now include the Oaklands condo on Avenue Rd. just below De LaSalle College and the Federal Building on Yonge in North York.

To say nothing of the arts school at Central Tech.

Isn't the GBC campus below Casa Loma a Macy work, too? Now, *there's* something conspicuously missing in either the buildings-you'd-love-to-obliterate or buildings-everybody-else-hates-but-you-think-are-cool threads...

There was a poignant passing glance ( sniff, sniff, boo hoo ... ) at 45 Charles East in SNF's excellent photo thread of updates in early July.

Thanks for posting that DuBois interview awhile back. Much appreciated, especially when there have been rumors that it is not long for this world.:(

Back