News   Apr 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

apropos the continuous debate regarding the preservation of Toronto's buildings:

I once read this definition of 'good' art --- that which lasts, is preserved

Makes sense, I think.

Then and Now for May 30.

Then. Ginsberg and Wong restaurant patio. Village By The Grange condo complex courtyard. McCaul Street. c1984-94.
587.jpg

Now. March 2012.
588.jpg

the Horticultural Building

Between 1906 and 1907, the Horticultural Building was constructed on the grounds of the CNE. It replaced the Crystal Palace, which had been destroyed by fire in 1906. The Crystal Palace had been inspired by the building of the same name, which was constructed in London's Hyde Park in 1851. London's Crystal Palace was the home of the Great Exhibition, which showed off industrial innovations, commercial products and cultural treasures from around the globe, and which showcased London as the centre of a vast, advanced British Empire. The brainchild of Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, the Great Exhibition was a great success, and soon cities all over the world wanted their own Crystal Palace. Toronto's first Crystal Palace was built on the northwest corner of King and Shaw streets in 1858. There it remained for twenty years, until it was taken down and reassembled on the site of today's Horticultural Building, near the Dufferin Gates. It survived there from 1878 to 1906, when it was destroyed by fire and replaced the following year by the Horticultural Building. The old Crystal Palace was an anchor for the Toronto Industrial Exhibition, which grew for a quarter of a century, until the name was changed in 1904. The old Industrial Exhibition passed away, and the new name, the "Canadian National Exhibition" came into being. It's been "the Ex" ever since, and in many ways the old Crystal Palace was the Ex's birthplace.

800px-Exhibition_Grounds_circa_1900.jpg

An old lithograph from about 1900 showing the Crystal Palace on the grounds of the Exhibition

743px-Crystal_Palace_ca_1906.jpg

THEN : The Crystal Palace in 1906, just before it was consumed by fire.

CNE-HorticulturalBuilding01panoHDR.jpg

NOW : The Horticultural Building today.

The CNE Through the Years

Those of us who were fortunate enough to attend the CNE at the right time will remember the "the Flyer". It was a whitewashed wooden roller coaster, constructed by Conklin in 1953. It remained intact throughout the year, and was a permanent fixture until its demolition in the 1990s. The amusement park rides of the CNE are often compared to those at Canada's Wonderland. Especially for those of us who remember the "big" rides, like the Flyer, there is no comparison. The operators of the rides at Canada's Wonderland all look like neatly turned out, uniform clad, engineering students, who flick a switch and watch carefully, timing your ride to the second. This is in contrast to the ride operators at the Ex. Biker jackets and torn jeans seemed to make up their uniforms in the old days; they'd flick the switch to power on the machines, the sparks would fly out of the control panel, and they'd turn to share a smoke and chat with their friends for about twenty minutes. I remember riding the Flyer, and look back fondly at the bits of wood that flew off it as we rode ~ that was a real thrill ~ the definite chance that the whole ride may come crashing down around you before your ride was over. When we were younger, it seems like we took our lives in our hands just getting on those things, and it made it all the more exciting.

Another season has come and gone for the CNE. Some Torontonians are annual visitors, while some visit only occasionally. Most have memories of "the Ex", though. Even for those who haven't visited in years, remembering it will often bring a gleam to the eye, before they launch into their fondest memories of the grounds, even if their last visit was decades ago. I've been tentatively invited back, and may be doing more ghost tours of the grounds as early as later this month. However, for me, one of my greatest memories of the Ex will be from this year, when for two weeks I had the chance to become a "carny", and pitch the grounds of the CNE to the hundreds of visitors who came on the CNE ghost tours over those two memorable weeks.

I've already starting taking reservations for my own ghost tours. They run all year, but starting on Thanksgiving Weekend, I will be doing them nightly. The Haunted Streets of Downtown Toronto tour runs every night at 7:00 p.m., and the Ghosts of the University of Toronto runs every night at 10:00 p.m. All tours are only $10 per person.

For more information, visit :
The Haunted Streets of Downtown Toronto
The Ghosts of the University of Toronto

1908_f1244_it0265.jpg

The CNE grounds in 1908.

1970s+late+70s+midwaycne-jumbo-jet-in-midway-late-70s.jpg

THEN : The CNE Midway in the late 1970s.

2010-cne_midway.jpg

THEN : The CNE Midway in 2010.

One of the most preposterous, hideous buildings built in Toronto. In what way was this incredibly late blooming faux French Chateau style supposed to represent the culture and values of Ontario? As revivalist styles go, the British aristocracy toyed with it briefly in the 1840s and 50s for their country homes, before dumping it like a hot potato once the nouveau riche industrialists stole the idea.

With that logic I assume you find Casa Loma to be hideous then?

Heya Mount, welcome and great introduction too. :)

That is just a fantastic high rez CNE midway picture that also happens to have all the elements to warm the hearts of those of us old enough to remember; Bulova Tower, etc.

I'm going to make it to one of your ghost tours soon.

Then and Now for May 31.

Then. 177 Warren Road c1920. Residence of F. C. Thompson. Eden Smith & Sons, Architects.

593177WarrenRdc1920.jpg

Now. July 2011. Different angle to avoid the shrubbery.

594.jpg

One of the most preposterous, hideous buildings built in Toronto. In what way was this incredibly late blooming faux French Chateau style supposed to represent the culture and values of Ontario? As revivalist styles go, the British aristocracy toyed with it briefly in the 1840s and 50s for their country homes, before dumping it like a hot potato once the nouveau riche industrialists stole the idea.

The Chateau style was a wonderful expression of the tastes of our two founding peoples -- the French seigneur and the Scottish land baron. :) A picturesque building looks good perched on a cliff in Quebec or at the base of a mountain in Banff, or even along the Ottawa River, I think. But it certainly was retrograde and didn't work in Toronto.

Back