592     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 432     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 760     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
I see A&W is going in on Queen St at Spadina, on the east side by the tavern.

6 April 2012: Amusing brand name, Queen West near Bathurst:

071lw.jpg

I had some excellent gelato this afternoon at a new place called G is for Gelato across from Vu condoin the former Filter space. They had a flavour called CN Tower, which I tried and was great. I could tell you what's in it, but you'll just have to go yourself to find out.

The gelato there is good. Afterwards, go up the street to Jarvis & Lombard for an espresso at Fahrenheit, then browse the Poliform and BoConcept showrooms on the opposite side.

Nice neighbourhood shaping up here around Vu.

I don't know how well it will do out there. Basically if you don't have a car, and you're not in the western part of the GTA, it's too far for most.

I don't know how well it will do out there. Basically if you don't have a car, and you're not in the western part of the GTA, it's too far for most.

Those malls are always "out there" somewhere. The one I frequent most is about 1 1/2 hours outside of Manhattan.

These outlets are like the sprawling Smart Centres, they're not designed to be transit or pedestrian friendly. I remember visiting an outlet mall in the states, the place was so huge they used shuttle buses to transport people from the parking lots to various parts of the outlet mall.

http://torontoist.com/2012/04/silver-snail-gets-a-new-home/

Silver Snail Gets a New Home

Silver Snail comics, a long-time Queen Street fixture, has found a new home in a new neighbourhood.
BY MATT DEMERS (GUEST CONTRIBUTOR) • PHOTOS BY LODOE-LAURA HAINES-WANGDA

The popular comics-and-more shop will be leaving its Queen West storefront of 36 years to move to a second-floor location steps from Yonge and Dundas Square, at 329 Yonge Street, where its owners hope to have it open for business by July 1 at the latest. The Silver Snail will continue to operate at its popular Queen West location until then.

Silver Snail’s owner, George Zotti, began to lay plans for the move when he found out that the store’s Queen West building had been sold for redevelopment. At first, he eyed the Annex for a potential new location, but eventually realized that the neighbourhood wasn’t a good fit. “The whole idea was to find an area that we liked with a space that we liked. We [really] liked the Annex, but we couldn’t find anything,” said Zotti. “Everything was really small—like 1,400 square feet, or something like that—or used to be a restaurant. To make a restaurant not a restaurant is very expensive.”

Back