Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

A reminder, or for those who haven't seen the rendering -

They should have kept the marquee.. I know it isn't the original, but it's the name of the freaken building..

Does anyone know if Ryerson is renaming it? Or calling the building Maple Leaf Gardens Athletic Centre or something?

The marquee going back as early as 1979. Note the messy Toronto sidewalks, some things never change.

Thanks for posting that picture. My gawd, I can't believe the difference on the other side of Carlton.

I'm actually behind the camera in that shot, and those are two of my friends the day we saw Abba. I paid money to see The Village People there too! Anyway, the marquee was different in the late '70's.

I'm actually behind the camera in that shot, and those are two of my friends the day we saw Abba. I paid money to see The Village People there too! Anyway, the marquee was different in the late '70's.

http://ballparks.phanfare.com/2414177#imageID=38713675

(scroll down) Dated May 1987.

The current marquee is rather new. I don't mind it being taken down and replaced as long as the new one is for 'Maple Leaf Gardens', not 'Ryerson University.' The marquee in the render is rather disgusting.

I trekked downtown on thursday when I found out about the sign, hoping to maybe pick up a souvenir or two if the sign was indeed going to be binned. Workers told me almost everything was going to be saved for eventual auction.

Lots of work going on around the inside perimeter of the building. You can see one of the recently installed escalators - top centre.

mlgm30.jpg

http://www.ryerson.ca/ryersonbuilds...E_AT_MAPLE_LEAF_GARDENS/MAY2011/1_may2011.jpg

I was there last night, it appears they've taken down some of or all of the catwalks if you look at this picture and compare to others. There used to be a stairwell in the dome on the north side, it is now gone. I think that mechanical room above the scoreclock will be coming down next. You can see it clear as day from street level still and last night they appeared to be cutting away from it..

Also interesting, the north west corner of the building is now open to let in light from the outside (used to be boxed in corner columns)..

New Gardens will mix past with present

The concrete pad is poured, the press gondola removed and the 80-year-old walls exposed to reveal a cross-section of red and blue paint, support beams and yellow brinks - the map of a building that housed hockey history.

For the better part of two years, architects and engineers have worked to transform Maple Leaf Gardens, tucking a new rink in its rafters and an athletic centre, grocery store and parking garage below.

More.....http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...past-with-present/article2064614/?from=sec431

There was a news story on CTV the other day about the MLG bricks. People used to chip the corners of the brick as souvenirs after a game. Nowadays bricks are for sale on Ebay as seen in the screen shot below.

mlgbrix.jpg

Capturemlg.JPG

Back