News   Apr 17, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

King West or Queen east area

carturo15

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you had to choose between a condo in the king west area (freed developments like 75 portland, 550 wellington, 455 adelaide or 650 king west) at $470 per square feet and a project in the east area like corktown, leslieville, worklofts, modern, at $400 square feet, which one would you choose in terms of investment?

If you had to choose between a condo in the king west area (freed developments like 75 portland, 550 wellington, 455 adelaide or 650 king west) at $470 per square feet and a project in the east area like corktown, leslieville, worklofts, modern, at $400 square feet, which one would you choose in terms of investment?

It is more expensive in King West as you get closer to Spadina because of the ability to walk to downtown in less than 10-15 minutes. I personally love the King West area because you can walk to Skydome and ACC, BMO field, etc. for sporting events and then take in the food/culture/arts of Queen St. W. It's an epicentre if you like to walk.

Future stuff coming to King West includes more retail for consumers (rumour of an experimental mini-Loblaws at King/Portland in the current Freed sales centre sometime next year), the revitalization of Wellington St., sidewalks on Richmond, the new park at Front/Bathurst etc. etc. etc.

The bottom line is that more money is coming to King West in development than anything out east. Pay the extra money if you want to live rather than sit in a box in the sky. Where people want to live will give you the best investment.

Good luck with your search.

I AM going for the east.

The street car ride out west during rush hour is very very very unpleasant. So unless you can get something east of Bathurst, I would stay out of Queen/King west.

The east is a developing area with the Donlands still withing walking distance - think 3 years from now.

There is a lot of variation per product in terms of developer, architect and precise location (for example Corktown is west of the DVP bridge and right across the street from the impending development of the West Donlands), but all things being equal, I'd choose the East.

Opinions probably fall on the biases of where people live (and I am no different), as well as age and socio-economic status, but if you are talking about investment, I like the potential of the east better.

King West
--------------------
King West/Spadia is probably better serviced and further along in development today than the compared East region. KW has a younger vibrant community, proximate to some pretty nice things that young active people do. IMHO, It's value lies in its population. I'd think today its probably easier to rent out(higher demand) for a higher price in KW than in the East. And when it further fills out its potential, it will be magnified by a certain factor. But most likely on a linear scale. In the long term however, if the club district is transformed into a tamer resident friendly place (there are debatable trends that indicate this), the club district would provide more value than King West/Spadina: Its closer to the core, the subway and everything downtown has to offer.

East
-------

With the east, the (proposed) development of the West Donlands,Lake Ontario Park, Distillery, Portlands etc (in combination with the gentrifying/redevelopment of Leslieville and Riverdale,Corktown,Regent Park), the value of the area has the potential to grow exponentially. It's value lies in iconic (not sure if thats the right word in this context) redevelopment of land that will have inherant value.

Just my opinion, biased as it is.

King West, no contest. Queen East is a good investment for the 10-20 year horizon. King West is good for living NOW.

Back