Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

js97:

and let's be honest, taxpayers will be footing the bill for this... in a big way.

Did you know that this is a private sector project?

perhaps an outdoor concert hall... like millenium park in chicago? a little less maintenance.

Yes...and how much public and private money was spent on THAT? $270M + 205M private.

AoD

Last edited:
js97:

Yes...and how much was public and private money was spent on THAT? $270M + 205M private.

AoD

lol... I personally like the "Toronto is not a coastal city, how does an aquarium increase tourist attraction?" as if Lake Ontario is nothing. Chicago is on a lake, and also has an aquarium that is one of Chicagos most popular attractions.

Also, Canada is a coastal country (3 coasts). This aquarium is being billed as the largest aquarium in Canada, and will be named 'Aquarium of Canada'. It should and will most likely represent all 3 coasts of this country.

Well it is pretty shocking that they might dump water into the lake. This might cause flooding and further decrease tourist attraction.

js97:

yes, Ripleys is heading it. But do you REALLY think it will be all private?

Considering the costs associated with it, a business plan based on 20-30 dollar adminsion will NOT pay for a project of this type.

Yes...and how much public and private money was spent on THAT? $270M + 205M private.

AoD

Well, my point is if we're subsidizing an aquarium (we might as well build something more practical)

js97:

My point is that we aren't subsidizing an aquarium because there are no plans afloat to give money for what is a private sector project.

AoD

Well it is pretty shocking that they might dump water into the lake. This might cause flooding and further decrease tourist attraction.

have any of you ever tried to maintain a salt water aquarium?

the water they will be dumping will be Salt water... into a fresh water lake...
Salt water composition is very different from fresh. Maybe it will take 10 years to have an effect on the lake, but it will.

My point of the coastal city...

the vancouver aquarium uses the ocean as a supply of water (yes they filter it, monitor the composition, but it's still essentially an endless supply)

this aquarium will be using toronto tap water, run it through a reverse osmosis process and adding salt to it.).... my point it takes ALOT more resoures to maitain an aquarium here vs B.C.

and how is sea live representative of Toronto?

If the largest aquarium in the world in the landlocked city of Atlanta can do it, I'm sure Toronto can....

js97:

Salt water composition is very different from fresh. Maybe it will take 10 years to have an effect on the lake, but it will.

Yes, and it will have an impact on the lake of course - but you seem to have neglected the amount of road salt we use, not to mention the that sewage by default has a high salt content.

AoD

Tell me you're joking. Do you have any idea of the sheer volume of Lake Ontario? (Which is not stagnant, the water in it is completely replaced with fresh water from lake Erie every few years.) Remember that even 'fresh' water has some dissolved salt in it -- that is where the salt in seawater ultimately came from, the small amount of salt brought into the oceans by rivers being gradually concentrated by evaporation over millions of years. This aquarium will have so little effect on the salt content of Lake Ontario that I doubt it will be measurable. The runoff into Lake Ontario from its watershed, from all the salt being used to melt snow and ice, must include far larger quantities of salt than the aquarium will produce, yet that is not considered a problem.

Ok, I'm no aquarium expert but why would they be dumping water straight into the lake. Are you saying they're going to build a pipeline to take water from the aquarium straight to the lake?

I'm pretty certain that like any other building in the city this one will be connected to the city's waste water system and water will be treated. I really don't see the issue with the lake.

Last edited:
TOFan:

Yeah - just saying, if there is one place that doesn't make sense to have an aquarium (if not even the largest one), it would be one that doesn't have access to a massive amount of water in any kind...

AoD

Back