138     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 239     0 

Furniture Shopping -- The Good and The Bad

iSlutsky

Chit-Chatter
Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone have any Toronto experiences to share with furniture shopping?

I always seem to end up at GH Johnston Trading Company (950 Dupont Street), and I ALWAYS walk away amazed how how well they can sell and at how poorly the deliver on their goods.

I recently purchased some book-shelves from them, and every day I am promised that they are coming "tomorrow", but they never seem to arrive. In fact, I was called in to pick them up last Friday (after 10 days of being told "tomorrow" each day), and in fact there was only one of the two units ready for pick up?

Anyway, for some reason I always end up there thinking "this time it will be different", but it never is. Of course, I will probably end up there AGAIN some time in the near future. I have heard many many many people express the same thoughts as I just stated.

Does anyone know / recommend any equivalent to GH (beyond the obvious such as Structube)?

Recommendation on Furniture Shopping

I feel for you! I have heard of many similar stories as well...
You know it's not so bad if the store gives you a time frame of 8 weeks, but don't tell me 4 weeks and then for the next 4 weeks keep telling me it will be here tomorrow! Customers appreciate the honesty up front, well I do anyway.

I found an awesome furniture store that would compare to GH J, but is mostly modern and classic furniture. The store is called Visitor Parking, and they not only have a great selection of furniture, but the 2 storey loft space where the furniture is on display is very cool! The staff is friendly and very honest with delivery times.

They're showroom is located on King St East, and you can get an idea of the furniture selection online at Visitor Parking

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

I feel for you! I have heard of many similar stories as well...
You know it's not so bad if the store gives you a time frame of 8 weeks, but don't tell me 4 weeks and then for the next 4 weeks keep telling me it will be here tomorrow! Customers appreciate the honesty up front, well I do anyway.

I found an awesome furniture store that would compare to GH J, but is mostly modern and classic furniture. The store is called Visitor Parking, and they not only have a great selection of furniture, but the 2 storey loft space where the furniture is on display is very cool! The staff is friendly and very honest with delivery times.

They're showroom is located on King St East, and you can get an idea of the furniture selection online at Visitor Parking

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Awesome! Thanks for the link to Visitor Parking. I had never heard of it, until now.

I've done lot of furniture shopping myself over past couple of years....so I've been in many furniture stores ...
I ended up making few purchases (sofa, area rug) at Urban Barn...on Queen West (www.urbanbarn.com)
Just across the street in Pavillion....I find it bit pricey...but lot of great ideas....I don't think they have web site yet. Also Blvd Interiors is just down the Queen Street...east on Bathurts
This past weekend I was down in Liberty village....checking out Casa Life and West Elm. These are some of the stores I can suggest.
I don't want to forget Crate and Barrel.....at Yorkdale.
Hope this helps...any particular item you are interested in purchasing?

Just a tip -- if you expose yourself to more furniture and decor (magazines, apartmenttherapy, etc), you might eventually find the furniture they sell in stores like Structube, Blvd Interiors, and Casa Life incredibly tacky and ugly. There was a time when I thought it was great, but walking in there now makes me urge.

I've always found the furniture at GH Johnston Trading Company really blah and traditional, but if you're into that kind of stuff, you might like Urban Barn. I think the stuff at West Elm is pretty nice. You might also like Crate & Barrel.

There are a bunch of great places in the city that sell decent replicas of classic mid-century modern furniture for good prices, if you're into that. One is at 2 Gladstone right now (looks temporary), and another is at Dupont & Dufferin in an old garage space. Style Garage sells Toronto-based Gus Design stuff, but it's on the pricey side.

Just a tip -- if you expose yourself to more furniture and decor (magazines, apartmenttherapy, etc), you might eventually find the furniture they sell in stores like Structube, Blvd Interiors, and Casa Life incredibly tacky and ugly. There was a time when I thought it was great, but walking in there now makes me urge.

I've always found the furniture at GH Johnston Trading Company really blah and traditional, but if you're into that kind of stuff, you might like Urban Barn. I think the stuff at West Elm is pretty nice. You might also like Crate & Barrel.

There are a bunch of great places in the city that sell decent replicas of classic mid-century modern furniture for good prices, if you're into that. One is at 2 Gladstone right now (looks temporary), and another is at Dupont & Dufferin in an old garage space. Style Garage sells Toronto-based Gus Design stuff, but it's on the pricey side.

I think I worded my original post a bit wrong, especially the last line. I did not mean to start this thread for recommendations of where to go, but to share "shopping experiences" from where people did shop, especially negative shopping experiences..

But, whatever, it is what it is!

I think I worded my original post a bit wrong, especially the last line. I did not mean to start this thread for recommendations of where to go, but to share "shopping experiences" from where people did shop, especially negative shopping experiences..

But, whatever, it is what it is!

My mistake!

On topic: Crate & Barrel and West Elm are pretty safe bets because you can pretty much pick things up and go.

I'm still waiting for a table lamp from EQ3 I ordered back in early February. It was suppose to be in within 4 to 6 weeks.... Every time I call I get a different answer about when it will be in. I really should go cancel my order and get a refund.

Talking about furniture shopping....does anyone know any place to buy some funky...vintage...unique floor lamps?

I'm still waiting for a table lamp from EQ3 I ordered back in early February. It was suppose to be in within 4 to 6 weeks.... Every time I call I get a different answer about when it will be in. I really should go cancel my order and get a refund.

Since February! That's a really, really long time to be waiting for a lamp. What are the general excuses?

8 months is beyond ridiculous.

ask EQ3 for a refund. if they refuse, and if you bought it on credit card, call the CC company and get it charged back from EQ3.

Since February! That's a really, really long time to be waiting for a lamp. What are the general excuses?

Let's see, back in May they told me 350 lamps were coming, they never came in. More recently, I was told on September 25 that the lamps were at the Winnipeg warehouse and should be in Toronto within a week. Just called right now and apparently they are not in Winnipeg and may not show up till December or January! hahaha. I was told a manufacturer driven delay (whatever that is) was holding up the back order.

I have the option to cancel at anytime and get a refund or put the cost towards a different EQ3 lamp. I just haven't found another lamp I like yet.

Back