Mississauga Widesuites Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Conservatory Group | Richmond Architects

retail
20110623a056.jpg

Did you noticed that they are finally going to do some thing with that blank wall on the south end today??

I stop taking photos of the retail area some time ago as they were taking their sweet time working on it and no one intrested in leasing it.

Was over there today and didn't have my camera with me as the weather was the pit and waiting for work to be done at grade.

They finally got the glass up on both sides for the overhang.
Groves have been cut into that blank way and a number of things could be done to spice it up. Not sure if more groves will be added.

The retail seems kinda far from the street. Unless they put in some patios or something. Although who will want to sit on a patio fronting onto Hurontario?

The Starbucks patio a little further south doesn't have any trouble, and these mature trees will help - but I think the view of AW across the way will appeal to people also - as long as it's a place people would consider in the first place. No one is going to sit on a Rabba patio or something, so we'll have to wait and see what goes in first, My hunch is a convenience store, a tailor/dry cleaner/nail salon, and maybe a cafe/restaurant. A pho place would keep busy IMO - but not the kind of place you hang out on the patio.

The Starbucks patio a little further south doesn't have any trouble, and these mature trees will help - but I think the view of AW across the way will appeal to people also - as long as it's a place people would consider in the first place. No one is going to sit on a Rabba patio or something, so we'll have to wait and see what goes in first, My hunch is a convenience store, a tailor/dry cleaner/nail salon, and maybe a cafe/restaurant. A pho place would keep busy IMO - but not the kind of place you hang out on the patio.

There is a convenience store a block away in both direction with the one at One Elm not looking that good from day one. What ppl hope to see here and what will come and servive here is another thing.

One only has to look at where Lone Star was and how many business have come and gone since then. Something is supposed to start up there, but its looks like its dead even before it open.

Another reason Sussex Centre was remodel, as most places die. Even the various upscale eating places die after it got a makeover.

The retail seems kinda far from the street. Unless they put in some patios or something. Although who will want to sit on a patio fronting onto Hurontario?

The state of the main streets is something that I found discouraging about MCC when I recently visited. For all its civic improvements and the handful of architectural achievements, Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe look and feel like average suburban arterials. How can you have a downtown if no one wants to hang around its main streets? The photos of the new civic square and Absolute evoke downtown Toronto style, but when I went to the civic square itself, I remembered that for all that, the majority of land at the core of MCC is still a parking lot and a successful suburban low rise shopping mall.

Doesn't really make sense to revamp the Hurontario corridor before the LRT is built. Just the construction of the LRT will improve the corridor a lot, and the LRT itself will probably help urbanize the the corridor too.

However, allowing the construction of a condo tower fronted by multi-storey parking garage that directly faces Hurontario St will definitely NOT help the corridor.

Just came back from picking up a car for the weekend from Thrifty and talking to the project manager. First time getting a car from then, as I usually rent from Avis. Since they lost my reservation as well there not to be a car to be had from them this weekend either in Mississauga or Toronto, had no choice in doing so. None of the airports within 100 km radius have cars either. Most rental places have no cars or the sizes I wanted.

The city does not want that blank wall as well the poorly lite area there and has told the developer they have to upgrade it.

The current plan calls for the wall to be stucco using various colors. At the same time, flood lighting has to be install at the base and shin up the walls leaving no dark areas.

They were still cutting more groves in the wall while I was there by hand and a straight edge.

Had a look inside the retail units and at least 6 months or more before anyone could open up something there. The ceiling are real height to the point you could add a 2nd floor if you need to.

As for revamping Hurontario, yes, but the city wants to go the opposite way at this time until the LRT shows up. That is why the city opposed the Eglinton development and only allowing a down scale smaller section to proceed at this time.

Parking garage at street edge can work if its part of a taller structure and blends in nicely. Seen very few to do this and this is not one of them.

Lets see how this upgrade wall turn out next month, as I'm not holding my breath for it.

It is really the perfect place for a Starbucks. I've been sayin that for a while. If not, then Absolute World is the next choice.

It is really the perfect place for a Starbucks. I've been sayin that for a while. If not, then Absolute World is the next choice.

I hope it will go here because it will animate the area just a bit; Absolute will do just fine. But with that said, if were a franchise owner I would prefer Absolute - more money to be made. The Second Cup near city hall is making a killing. The owner just opened another one in Burlington and he is only in his mid-20s - sweet!

Back