News   Mar 28, 2024
 292     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 258     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 293     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this, but if someone else here can verify, we may have a solution.

I seem to recall in the early days of internet banking, the Bank of Montreal introduced their online presence as the "Bank of Montreal Online". There seemed to be, for a while, two names floating about: Bank of Montreal, and Bank of Montreal Online. I think they consolidated with BMO, taking the initials from the aforementioned Bank of Montreal Online.

But that's a vague memory from 15+ years ago.

Lest we forget

US75179554

Yes. Uh-oh, does this mean you’ve been researching the wrong side of the street? :)

Assuming not, the attached image shows the storefronts of Peter C. Allan at 35 King West and Richard B. Butland at 37 King West. Not sure of the date.

Hi wwwebster, it has been a while! Also I am terrible at finding a post when I do not respond to it right away! OK, so this is interesting that they changed. No damage done on the research side of things :)

Pape Ave., one block above Danforth, at Lipton - 1927

Pape-Lipton1927-housestillthere.jpg

Original house is still visible behind new storefronts - 2012
Subway station under renovation (behind green barrier).

PapeatLipton2012.jpg

I think they consolidated with BMO

Ugh, I've always hated that they went with that and went common as "bee-mo". It's cringing. It sounds like a Scouting euphemism for something you do while you're in the KYBO.

Last edited:
Pape Ave., one block above Danforth, at Lipton - 1927

Pape-Lipton1927-housestillthere.jpg

Original house is still visible behind new storefronts - 2012
Subway station under renovation (behind green barrier).

PapeatLipton2012.jpg

We don't see many Then and Nows of houses turned into storefronts. It's always interesting visually to see what was lost and at the same time what is still there looming out from the back. I have an interest in naval history and a similar analogy would be those battleships converted into aircraft carriers.

Hey it's the weekend again.

This link is somewhat related to Then and Now. Cindy Sherman is a visual artist and photographer who uses herself as the subject in surreal and fantasy photographic compositions. I say somewhat related because she has been doing this for over thirty years. Be warned, some of her work can be upsetting.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/02/19/arts/design/20120219-SHERMAN.html

In my Now picture the young lady is in front of our vanished entrance. An interesting question.. what might lie underneath the concrete.

For those of you interested in this kind of exploration, go to the NE corner of Yonge and Queen. Walk a few paces E on Queen to the grate in the middle of the sidewalk - now look down, and see the ghostly steps that once went down into the Queen subway.

I think I know the spot you mean, but any chance someone could go there and point a camera down that grate for the benefit of those of us who aren't in Toronto?

thecharioteer, wwwebster, junctionist:

Thank you for adding to our body of knowledge of about Merchants Bank.

We need to have a UT picnic or gathering at the Guild Inn some day.

Back