News   Mar 28, 2024
 475     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 316     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 331     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Junction Rail lands

Anyone have photos of the Junction area rail lands and old locomotives in that area of town?

Anyone have photos of the Junction area rail lands and old locomotives in that area of town?

There are some interesting pics of what was known as the Lambton Yards on www.trainweb.org. The area has since been "big-boxed".

Map 1927 (Keele is on the right, St. Clair angled on top):
map_1927.jpg

View 1960:
view_1960_large.jpg

East of Keele, map of Campbell Mills 1912:
map_campbell_mills.jpg

Good old Toronto rail pics...

Charioteer: Good pics of Toronto rail on the Waterfront and Union Station areas and the print maps are interesting also! LI MIKE

The street in the picture appears to be Dundas or St. Clair judging by the elevators in the right of the picture (Cawthra?)

Charioteer: Good pics of Toronto rail on the Waterfront and Union Station areas and the print maps are interesting also! LI MIKE

Thanks, Mike! This 1894 map is one of my favourites (and it is in colour as per the title of this thread). Note the railways are in, but the landfill of the harbour has not yet begun:
Toronto_1894large-4.jpg

In only 16 years, by 1910, the impact of the railroads on the waterfront is remarkable:

From the 1910 Goad Atlas (Toronto Public Library):

goad1910b.jpg
goad1910c.jpg
goad1910d.jpg

As well as by Fort York and further west, while the Islands as we know it, and the Portlands take form:
gaod1910r.jpg
goad1910s.jpg
goad1910a.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to get your hands on this.

HISTORICAL ATLAS OF TORONTO
"Lavishly illustrated with over three hundred maps, this new book charts the evolution of the city from its origins as a Native village to a French trading fort, to York, the capital of Upper Canada, and finally to Toronto, Canada's largest and most diverse city. Packed with archival photos and memorabilia to complement the maps."

http://www.derekhayes.ca/#atlas_toronto

You might want to get your hands on this.

HISTORICAL ATLAS OF TORONTO
"Lavishly illustrated with over three hundred maps, this new book charts the evolution of the city from its origins as a Native village to a French trading fort, to York, the capital of Upper Canada, and finally to Toronto, Canada's largest and most diverse city. Packed with archival photos and memorabilia to complement the maps."

http://www.derekhayes.ca/#atlas_toronto

You're absolutely right, Anna. I got the book, love it, my only complaint is that it's too short, so many maps could have been added. I emailed the author to compliment him and mentioned that I wished the book was longer. He replied that he was restricted by his publisher as to the length of the book. These kind of books are never best-sellers and have to be brought in at a certain price-point.

From the Ontario Archives:

Visit of the Royal Yacht Britannia to Toronto Harbour:
britannia_xs1900-2lg.jpg

Subway 1960:
5728_subway_colour_1960.jpg

Chorley Park, Rosedale:
6243_chorley_pk_col_lg-1.jpg

Eaton's catalogue:
474px-Eaton27s_Spring_and_Summer_Ca.jpg

From the Museum of Science and Technology:

First train between Toronto and Montreal:
MAT001311.jpg

The "Turbo"
MAT004781.jpg

1980's:
MAT004795.jpg

Dufferin Street:
MAT005295.jpg

The Broadway Tabernacle (NE corner of Spadina and College; built 1887, archt. EJ Lennox)
MAT005179.jpg

Miscellaneous:
The Railway Lands
johnstandspadina.jpg

Chromolithograph of the City 1893 (TPL):
Chromolithograph_of_City_of_Toro-2.jpg

Last edited:
6243_chorley_pk_col_lg-1.jpg

chorley park sure was impressive.

its from back when mansions didn't screw around--not a scrape of EIFS there!

chorl.jpg

chorl6.jpg

chorl5.jpg

chorl7.jpg

From Anne Michael's book Fugitive Pieces (1996):

One of the last walks Athos and I took together was along the floodplain of the Don River, past the brick quarry and cliffs embedded with marine fossils. We intended to sit for awhile in the terraced gardens of Chorley Park, the Government House, built spectacularly on the edge of the escarpment…. We ascended the valley. The hills were scorched with sumac and sedge, cloudy with fraying thistles and milkweed…. We emerged from the scrub of the ravine into the garden and lifted our heads to emptiness. Chorley Park, built to outlast generations, was gone, as though an eraser had rubbed out its place against the sky….
‘How could they have torn it down, one of the most beautiful buildings in the city? Jakob, are you sure we’re in the right place?’
‘We’re in the right place, koumbaros….How do I know? Because it’s gone’ (106-08).

Interesting to compare the site today and see traces of the driveway:

ChorleyParkplan.gif

chorleypark.jpg

Last edited:

Back