Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

"Aura will have two condo corporations, instead of the usual one, so that tenants can occupy the first 55 floors and close on their units while the finishing touches are put on floors 56 to 78 before buyers move in and close on those units."

This has been stated in the purchase documents. As a matter of fact, whole complex is supposed to have four (4) separate condo corporations. 2 for residential part, 1 for podium and 1 for the stores in the basement.

I don't mind the cladding on the podium but it's starting to look very busy as the units go up. One thing for sure is that this building is really transforming that street corner, and the tower will seem to loom even blocks away.

i know that canopy thing overhanging yonge is temporary, but i can't get over how oversized it looks!

Rick-Moranis-as-Dark-Helmet-in-Spaceballs.jpg

If anything, it is certainly very different than the brown-grey that surrounds it, as we can see in some of these pictures (particularly those from up high with a SE viewplane). The tower cladding may take on a sort of complex quilted look once there's enough of it up -- the detail of the cladding (which is all we can see now, really) will be subsumed by the overall effect. In any case, the cladding of the podium is IMHO quite good.

It's time to reposition the web cam. Construction will soon have grown out of it's range.

^^^
Definitely! Two weeks ago I left a message on the EarthCom.net site, but haven't received any reply yet. Well, at one point they will need to find a new place high enough...

The Star articles often end up sounding uninformed to me, because they're full of questionable statements.

Beyond the typo in the title ("Toronto condos towers"?), they say
Aura will tower 272 metres and — for a while at least — surpass everything in the city except the CN Tower and First Canadian Place.

That is simply not true by any measure.

Toronto's tallest by total height would be:
1. CN Tower: 553m
2. FCP: 355m
3. Commerce Court West: 287m
4. Trump Tower: 277m
5. Scotia Plaza: 274m
6. Aura: 272m

Toronto's tallest by structural height (including spires but not antennas) would be:
1. CN Tower: 553m
2. FCP: 298m
3. Trump Tower: 277m
4. Scotia Plaza: 274m
5. Aura: 272m

And they clearly aren't talking about building height alone, because in that case the CN Tower would not count at all, and even if they did count it, Aura would still only be 4th.

They also make a big deal about Aura being Canada's tallest condo, but they never mention that it's also North America's tallest as well.

Then there's that section about supertalls and megatalls in asia which really has little to do with the article.

And they clearly aren't talking about building height alone, because in that case the CN Tower would not count at all, and even if they did count it, Aura would still only be 4th.

I've found that it's actually pretty common for those not in the know, to refer to the CN Tower as a 'building'. But yeah its pretty clear they did not do any research.

Although if you go by roof height, as I do, they were only 2.6m off;
1. FCP: 298m
2. Scotia: 274.9
3. Aura: 272.3

Last edited:

Back