Toronto 388 King West | 146.3m | 33s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

82 Peter St proposal looks pretty good to me. I particularly like what the integration of the balconies on the podium. Nice clean lines.

I do understand the City's desire for it to be shortened a bit to continue the height reduction as towers approach Spadina to the west.

82 Peter St proposal looks pretty good to me. I particularly like what the integration of the balconies on the podium. Nice clean lines.

I do understand the City's desire for it to be shortened a bit to continue the height reduction as towers approach Spadina to the west.

It's a wall - it's a superchunk of a building that was proposed as a bargaining platform for negotions. This proposal is not good.

/\ Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer, whilst in legal negotiations after having hot coffee spilled on himself, is about to be offered a huge settlement but shouts "I'll take it!" to free coffee for life before they even get to the actual settlement.

I don't know why the application states that the existing building at 388 King would be retained. It is certainly gone in all drawings, renderings, discussions…

In terms of "the wall": yes, it is a long building, and that's why the proposal is articulated in so many places, with the intention to break up the bulk. There were zero complaints about the 388 King proposal at the recent community meeting held by Adam Vaughan, whereas the other two proposals discussed that night raised in one case some doubts (Noir) and in the other case outright hostility (Fad).

Personally I found the articulation a bit awkward. Visually it might be more interesting to have a roofline that is slanted at the same slope as the setbacks (or maybe even some kind of trellis?) Or maybe rotate each vertical volume under each setback by 45 degrees so that you get more "texture" and break the mass down even more?

AoD

My take on this proposal, is that the developer is being cautious with height and design for that neighbourhood....so for this complex, he puts together a bunch of mediocre shorter boxes.
Gee, Its nothing more than a large awkward slab that unfortunately will please many

I just found the part about this design you don't like.

You never complain about any one feature of a tall building. So long as a building is tall, you're happy. But if it's short, it doesn't matter if the design is good or bad, you are unhappy with it.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be curious to hear what your actual thoughts are on this design. How is it awkward? Why is the design bad (without addressing height)?

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, and maybe many people will find this design to be awkward, but I think people will take your opinions on buildings more seriously if you don't always go straight to height in your critiques.

I like the setbacks. They will offer workers some nice outdoor space if they actually make them all green roofs.

You never complain about any one feature of a tall building. So long as a building is tall, you're happy. But if it's short, it doesn't matter if the design is good or bad, you are unhappy with it.

Thats not true, some of my favourite designs are the shorter ones......
Come on, i could say the same about many other people on this forum..........So long as a building is short, they're happy. But if it's tall, it doesn't matter if the design is good or bad, they're unhappy with it.

I like the fact that we area adding office space instead of another condo tower. It will be interesting to see how this looks when we see a render.

Elevations.jpg

So long as a building is short, they're happy. But if it's tall, it doesn't matter if the design is good or bad, they're unhappy with it.

Typically, that is true when a tall building is being proposed where otherwise much shorter structures only exist, or where there is a secondary plan in place that indicates a specific height limit much lower than a highrise proposal.

Back