Toronto 170 Spadina | 46.94m | 12s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Now they're turning Spadina into a residential street???

that would be a shame. Downtown has too many main streets which are mostly residential already: Sherbourne, Jarvis, Bay, Bathurst. Don't let Spadina be one of those.
But even now, I don't know what Spadina is. It is not exactly a commercial street either.

What? If you're blind to the commercial activity on Spadina between Queen and College, I don't know what to tell you.

that would be a shame. Downtown has too many main streets which are mostly residential already: Sherbourne, Jarvis, Bay, Bathurst. Don't let Spadina be one of those.
But even now, I don't know what Spadina is. It is not exactly a commercial street either.

Spadina is probably the street with the most character in the downtown (yes, that includes Queen). It's definitely one of the most interesting streets in the city and yes, I would categorize it as "commercial", though really it's pretty mixed-use.

Spadina is probably the street with the most character in the downtown (yes, that includes Queen). It's definitely one of the most interesting streets in the city and yes, I would categorize it as "commercial", though really it's pretty mixed-use.

Spadina is definitely mixed-use with a lot of commercial activity happening. The diversity is impressive and it shows on its vibrant sidewalks. The only question is what's the term for these kinds of streets in Toronto and other cities? Sometimes they're called commercial streets, but that fails to acknowledge the diversity of activity and the mix of uses happening. "Main street" sounds more appropriate for a small town, and "high street" is the UK equivalent.

Spadina is an Avenue - its right in the name already.

I agree with just about everyone else about the design... completely out of place in this location and detracts from the existing feel at street level. This building is nothing more than a dead zone in waiting. Come on, context and materials people!!!

As for Chinatowns, I think San Francisco's is easily the best that I have been to. I think the multi-storey buildings (density), many of which have Chinese style facades and wrought iron balconies is what really sets it apart for me.

Last edited:
The revised design's better even though it's still probably too busy. But nonetheless, it still needs some fine-tuning.

I think it would have been pretty cool if they designed a building like a Pagoda for Chinatown :)

170SpadinaRender.jpg

When it comes to Spadina, I'd be quite happy with brick or stone buildings in the 8-12 storey range from King up to College. It's a very unique Avenue and I'd hate to see it lose it's openess. The lower height restriction might also encourage people to restore what's already there rather than tear them down.

Ed

How is that rendering different than the one posted by Travis?

DCN has got this one at 17s.....http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10...0d5ee95f168d&projectid=9144085&region=ontario

CONDOMINIUM
Proj: 9144085-2 .. Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS ..170 Spadina Ave, M5T 2C2
$24,000,000 est
Note:
Owner is seeking rezoning approval. Schedules for further design, tender, and construction have not been determined at this time. Further update spring 2012. The owner of this project is Triwin International Developments.
Project:
proposed construction of a 17-storey condominium containing 186 units. There will be 65 parking spaces in a 4-storey below grade parking facility.
Scope:
17 storeys; 4 storeys below grade; 186 units; parking for 65 cars
Development:...New
Category:...Apartment bldgs

The height doesn't bother me, at 17 floors, it isn't precedent setting.

But I agree, that while this broken up box isn't a horrible design, but it could be anywhere, plopped where ever with no thought. It does not suit Spadina.

Back