News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Apparently, Super Freshmart is going to have some kind of renovation since there's signs up about a renovation sale.

They've been there since the 80's and the place hasn't changed at all, it's about time!

Really we don;t need another coffee shop on the street.... Big Johnson's would have been a very successful place if the stupid owner treated his staff and suppliers with respect. Employees having to keep track of their hours and then argue with him for payment was not much fun.... Landlord closed the doors for failure to pay rent....btw it was the same group of owners who ran the Village Rainbow Cafe.... It is a good location and would be very successful if someone with brains ran it..... Time will tell and we shall see as employees now have to either sue or go to the Minister of Labour to get monies owed.....

Xtra had reported that it was new ownership behind Big Johnson's back when it first opened. What makes you say it was the Village Rainbow owners??? They ran that place into the ground and left behind tonnes of burned creditors. How would they have re-opened ??

Well, it looks like Superfreshmart is getting cut in half. Another victim of Loblaws?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4Y 1G7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 101421 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 4, 2013

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal to construct demising wall in exisitng retail unit to create two new retail units (Retail A and Retail B) on the ground floor of exisitng multi-use building (unit is at the corner of Maitland St and Church St)

or just the economy and over-priced convenient store products ?

Aw, that's terrible. Super Freshmart has great selection for a convenience store, and while they're more expensive than Loblaws, they have reasonable prices, they're open 24 hours, and they carry some items that Loblaws does not. I give them quite a bit of business and would be sad to see their space cut in half.

Aw, that's terrible. Super Freshmart has great selection for a convenience store, and while they're more expensive than Loblaws, they have reasonable prices, they're open 24 hours, and they carry some items that Loblaws does not. I give them quite a bit of business and would be sad to see their space cut in half.

well they take up 3 storefronts, so maybe they'll just cut their space by 1/3 and retain 2 storefronts.

I'm in there a few times a week, some of their stuff can be a little pricey like impulse purchases but basic things like soup, milk, tuna, pasta etc. are cheaper than Loblaws or any convenience store nearby. Their produce has been crappy for years, save for basic things like onions or potatoes. Also, I noticed that Pusateri's prices (on Church) have gone up substantially in the past half a year or so. I've noticed it for vegetables & fruit plus Super Fresh Mart was out of Tropicana Orange-Tangerine juice so I went to Pusateri's and they charged me $5.79 ($4.69 at Super Fresh Mart). I like Loblaws but it's sad to see this happening to these independent businesses that have been around for so long.

The Baskin Robbins is also closed for renovations; such a glut of renos happening.

The Baskin Robbins is also closed for renovations; such a glut of renos happening.

I'm glad though. Most of the businesses need it. I'm hoping by World Pride 2014 that Church Street will look much nicer than it does now. All they need to do is some street work. Add some planters, repave some of the sidewalks, etc.

I'm glad though. Most of the businesses need it. I'm hoping by World Pride 2014 that Church Street will look much nicer than it does now. All they need to do is some street work. Add some planters, repave some of the sidewalks, etc.

repaving the sidewalks would be nice, but no planters as the sidewalks are narrow enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing Church Street narrowed down to 1 lane through the village, with bike lanes on the sides, and wider sidewalks.

garage.jpg

well at least they can use those garage-style doors as part of their decor theme.

i've never eaten there, but what was the food like? was it the food, service or both that did them in?

Back