News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

^Pretty much all central business districts are tiny by that measure.

I think Toronto is third in office space after Chicago, last I checked.
There was a thread on that on SSP recently. The top five for central area office space are:

New York - 356,983,000 square feet
Chicago - 121,324,000
Washington DC - 96,250,000
Toronto - 74,400,000
San Francisco - 61,956,000

When RBC, Bay-Adelaide, and Union Tower are done Toronto will be at 77,500,000 or so. Well not including any renos and smaller projects that happen in the meantime anyway.

New stacking plan including Fasken Martineau
BA_stacking_with_fasken.png

Oh I agree that this project could stand more height, and perhaps a staggered top. In this part of town, it's appropriate. In fact, I'd go with 30 more floors.

And in the base, that facadism, well, it's not horrible (not quite fah-sadism) but is it not a bit unfortunate? I would favour moving the old exterior elsewhere if it's to be kept.

I love the all-glass of this tower, though. That's sex appeal. Imagine that, coming from accountants!

I hope the old facade integration doesn't end up lookin hokey. Perhaps a better thing to do would have been to place the old facade behind the glass cladding, so the continuity of the shell is preserved, and you can just vaguely see the historic facade through the glass during the day, and it gets lit up at night.

Hey don't loose hope! Ernst and Young is right around the corner!

But seriously, these things sometimes DO go well:

toronto_bce_place.jpg

bce-place_01.jpg

See how much of a difference great architecture can make!

I believe its been stated previously, that Brookfield had maximized its available density on their site, so if they want to include the other two towers in the development, they can't go any higher.

There was a thread on that on SSP recently. The top five for central area office space are:

New York - 356,983,000 square feet
Chicago - 121,324,000
Washington DC - 96,250,000
Toronto - 74,400,000

i am amazed that DC has the third highest office space considering it has a height restriciton of ten floors. having been there many times, i just can't picture it...how many ten storey buildings would make up all of toronto's towers.
i could do the math but...math is hard.

Maybe it depends on what counts as "central area" in each city.

The skyscrapers all crammed together around Bay & King must surely rank Toronto right up there with any city in the world in terms of total office space within X number of blocks.

that last picture is quite helpful ... can already visualize how much this single building is going to help the continuity of Bay St specifically and the CBD in general... that gaping hole has been waiting too long to be filled! (ahem, even if it is just a box!)

Back