News   Apr 22, 2024
 304     0 

Ontario Power Generation: A Lady holds up a "nuclear pellet" without protection

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
Crossposted from my facebook page:

n122602698_34445717_9326.jpg

I'm not against nuclear power, nor am I really for it either, since there are so many more sustainable, not to mention, less dangerous, options to electricity generation. But then I saw this billboard pop up just outside of work the other day and had to do a double take....

The lady... is... holding... a...... nuclear pellet...... with... her... BARE HANDS?!? Shouldn't she be dead already? But then it hit me... they photoshopped her for the billboard from how the photo originally turned out...

Here's the original, pre-Photoshopped mockup for the ad... you can tell why they didn't release it:

n122602698_34445720_3902.jpg

----

Mockery aside...

The ad implies that the pellet (though I really doubt it's that specific pellet) will generate a lot of electricity. But the ad means absolutely nothing beyond that. A coal producer could easily have an ad holding up a bucket of coal and say that "this little bucket of coal" will power a bunch of houses. It's not the frickin' size of the fuel that's the problem! This ad is misleading in making people think that just because so much can be done with that little pellet (again not that pellet) there's no environmental impact. What about the truth that we are not 100% certain that burying the radioactive waste a few hundred metres underground is safe?

Again, not for or against nukes... but I am totally against this ad.

Original image (the top one, in case you were confused) from Ontario Power Generation -- http://www.opg.com

To further illustrate my point, here's more pointless "amount based" advertising for various types of energy generation.

n122602698_34446222_4913.jpg

Coal power: the lady holding it looks pure, so the power MUST be good!

n122602698_34446223_6799.jpg

Wind power: you'd probably need a trillion of these lips blowing, but eventually you'll turn a turbine and make power! (btw, do a search on Google images of "girl blowing dandelion"... it's crazy how many images you'll get of just that)

n122602698_34446224_4919.jpg

Hydro power: again, you'll need a few trillion glasses of water, but hey, we're simple minded folk in Ontario.

Methinks you are trying to read too much into advertisements.

Besides, in the second illustration, the woman holding the pellet clearly has smallpox, and that isn't due to the pellet.

^That's probably what the woman up top did: ingested some uranium ore and out popped that ceramic uranium pellet (which is low radiation and does not cause smallpox-like looks).

Maybe this one is a move away from wind power and wind turbines, and back to 'lung power' to generate some of our energy needs.

Like those little toy sail boats that children blow on the ponds to keep them going on a windless day. :)

Maybe this one is a move away from wind power and wind turbines, and back to 'lung power' to generate some of our energy needs.

Like those little toy sail boats that children blow on the ponds to keep them going on a windless day. :)

maybe with stem cell technology, we can engineer a lung the size of a house that can blow 80KM/H.

^That's probably what the woman up top did: ingested some uranium ore and out popped that ceramic uranium pellet (which is low radiation and does not cause smallpox-like looks).

rumor has it that terrorists are trying to spike her drink with turblax and following her around with a pooper scooper. some of them are even dressing up as toilets!

rumor has it that terrorists are trying to spike her drink with turblax and following her around with a pooper scooper. some of them are even dressing up as toilets!

Damn them! Damn them all to hell!

Oh, wait; are they going for the uranium pellets or the diamonds?

Damn them! Damn them all to hell!

Oh, wait; are they going for the uranium pellets or the diamonds?

both. they can use the pellets for making weapons and use the diamonds to finance their activities. the only problem is that by using the turbolax, all they keep getting is some sort of yellowcake from the woman who eats the ore and bitumen from the other chic.

OK, let's ditch welfare and implement Wheelfare...

1148184569_5086.jpg

Back