News   Apr 16, 2024
 351     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 384     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 742     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Then it's just a matter of completing the interior work over the winter and spring of 09'.....

hopefully we'll see aleast 2 more form raises on the core before the concrete tops out.. the form raise from yesterday was only partial. - The forms on the north and south sides have yet to be raised.

Forms were raised this morning. - the core has not topped out!!

The forms appear to be well above the TD Centre but I know that's just the angle I'm viewing it from. The forms have definitely moved up in the past two days.
The crane for RBC is beginning to rise just behind the Sheraton Centre Hotel on the left side.

PICT1731.jpg

BA - 1 million sq feet
SP - 2.1 million sq feet
FCP - 2.8 million sq feet

Scotiaplaza and FCP are in another league, no other buildings will ever be built that big again, at least not in Toronto. Hong Kong, sure they will build something that big every year, maybe twice. Toronto, no way!

BA - 1 million sq feet
SP - 2.1 million sq feet

Scotiaplaza and FCP are in another league, no other buildings will ever be built that big again, at least not in Toronto. Hong Kong, sure they will build something that big every year, maybe twice. Toronto, no way!

BA is not that small, and SP and FCP are not that large. Here are the numbers I posted in September of last year, before the height increase was announced:

For Comparison:

FCP
Floors: 72
Rentable area: 2,049,027 SF
Typical floor plate: 30,633 SF

Scotia Plaza
Floors: 68
Rentable area: 1,467,666 SF
Typical floor plate: 22,165 SF

Bay-Wellington Tower
Floors: 47
Rentable area: 1,298,815 SF
Typical floor plate: 25,800 SF

TD Bank Tower
Floors: 56
Rentable area: 1,270,480 SF
Typical floor plate: 26,500 SF

Bay-Adelaide West
Floors: 50
Rentable area: ~1,200,000 SF
Typical floor plate: >25,500 SF

Commerce Court West
Floors: 57
Rentable area: 1,168,191 SF
Typical floor plate: 24,000 SF

Canada Trust Tower
Floors: 53
Rentable area: 1,126,518 SF
Typical floor plate: 23,000 SF

Royal Trust Tower
Floors: 46
Rentable area: 979,878 SF
Typical floor plate: 23,000 SF

Royal Bank South
Floors: 40
Rentable area: 853,870 SF
Typical floor plate: 24,000 SF

So Bay-Adelaide West is very comparable to the major MINT towers, other than FCP which is a step larger.

BA is not that small, and SP and FCP are not that large. Here are the numbers I posted in September of last year, before the height increase was announced:

The was no height increase for BAC - it remains 50 floors. The only confusion stems from our ridiculous fear of having a 13th floor, hence this building's top floor is it's "51st". Uh huh.

BA - 1 million sq feet
SP - 2.1 million sq feet

To say we'll never have buildings that large in Toronto ever again is a ridiculous thing to say.
Maybe right now we won't, but in 5 years who knows what will be going on in this city.

To say we'll never have buildings that large in Toronto ever again is a ridiculous thing to say.
Maybe right now we won't, but in 5 years who knows what will be going on in this city.

One candidate is the possible SITQ office building at 45 Bay, which is rumoured to be planned at up to 50 storeys. Depending on the floor plate, this would likely amount to 1.1 to 1.3 million square feet of gross rentable area, which would put it just below the Scotia Plaza range.

In the more distant future, who can say? If the rumoured Manulife development ever happens, and it's as tall as the rumour says (300+ metres), it may well beat out FCP in area.

(The Manulife development was mentioned by VofE in a post that also contained a number of subsequently confirmed developments. Nothing more has been heard about it that I know of, but given the accuracy of the other information in that post, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this one.)

FCP - 30 years ago....

SP - 21 years ago..

I'm not saying it won't happen again, but we may be walking with canes when it eventually does happen.

hopefully we'll see aleast 2 more form raises on the core before the concrete tops out.. the form raise from yesterday was only partial. - The forms on the north and south sides have yet to be raised.

I have a feeling there will be only one more form raising, just because at each previous core narrowing the elevator core continued for two floors beyond the top floor that the elevator went to. So I'd expect the same pattern to be followed here. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I've also noticed that they seem to have done a minor core narrowing with the latest from raising. The protruding bits on the corners are not being continued.

Why do you say that? Trump went on sale at 70 stories, 988 feet (1064 for the spire).

Back