Toronto 170 Spadina | 46.94m | 12s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Clean, simple, and a nice nod to the nabe's historical built form... seems a tad big but not too big, I think. Hopefully that dumpy building to the South (McDonalds and the erstwhile Acky Tree) + the TD at the SW corner of the intersection will be next!

I like it! The windows and masonry reflects the older warehouse aesthetic in a contemporary way. Fits right in!

It's a Wallman alright. Certainly nothing to sneeze at, but imo Lumiere does the same kinds of things better.

Not to be contrarian, but other than the roof element I don't see the similarities to Lumiere.

The way that the balconies are integrated looks great in the render, keeps the warehouse look but not having the balconies stick out. Hopefully will turn out in execution.

Other than the "hat" I rather like this design.

Today walked by the site and had to laugh:

075qy.jpg

"Rob Ford is a silly fellow" (To which someone has replied: "Idiot") ha!

The previous rendering showed a glass tower that could have been built anywhere, with a massive mechanical box that wasn't integrated into the architecture at all. In terms of the new rendering, the architecture now seems more interesting and appropriate for the location, unambiguously influenced by early 20th century warehouses in the windows and the brick cladding. It's a design that responds to Spadina's unique context and a good improvement over the glass tower. The top, however, doesn't fit in elegantly with the warehouse-style facade; a flat roof or some setbacks leading up to an integrated mechanical penthouse would probably be better.

And the building is clad in brick, which is a bonus (and certainly a nod to the 'hood). Its sad that a building that is covered in brick can seem refreshing during this boom. It is so much more appealing (textured, detailed) than aluminum siding or blank precast.

^Agreed. I think what appeals to me about the midrise buildings being built west of Bathurst these days is that they're predominantly built out of brick and carry on the design vernacular of the surrounding area. I'm not a civil engineer, but I think it's difficult to clad towers beyond a certain height in real brick (although they used to - see some of the art deco skyscrapers in New York and Detroit).

Back