Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

I'm a fan of that sculptural smokestack. It may be the best in the city.

Likewise agree.
Its more like an obelisk than a smokestack. Though I'd say the Richard L. Hearn stack is still the most distinctive one in the city, largely due to its sheer size. Furthermore, I don't associate the RLH stack with the normal connotations that one might have regarding smokestacks since its long since been 'dormant'. I see that one as simply a relic to a bygone era.
Where is this one is almost like a monument. Yes, its not as attractive as a proper landmark and most people probably can't look past its primary purpose. But its certainly not your typical stack and its not belching out toxic fumes as the fuel used is natural gas, which is by far the cleanest burning fossil fuel.

Update on that fire that broke out on the construction site.
http://www.sickkids.ca/VisitingSickKids/whats-new/update-incident-Research-and-Learning-tower.html

Thankfully it did not have a major impact on the work.

Yeah, anybody know if they were back to work today.

Downtown construction site closed for arson investigation
A downtown construction site was closed for an arson investigation Thursday morning, Toronto police confirm.
A witness told CityNews he and his fellow construction workers were locked out of the site at Bay and Elm streets and that there were two fires there Wednesday.
Some workers were seen entering the site around 7 a.m., but police said the area being investigated will be off limits until further notice.
The project is the new Research and Learning Tower for Sick Kids Hospital, which broke ground last May.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...struction-site-closed-for-arson-investigation

AG:

Here is the bit from the article from SickKids - posted yesterday which you've quoted:

Workers are back onsite this morning and construction has resumed. It is not anticipated that this incident will have any significant impact on the construction timelines.

AoD

Likewise agree.
Its more like an obelisk than a smokestack. Though I'd say the Richard L. Hearn stack is still the most distinctive one in the city, largely due to its sheer size. Furthermore, I don't associate the RLH stack with the normal connotations that one might have regarding smokestacks since its long since been 'dormant'. I see that one as simply a relic to a bygone era.
Where is this one is almost like a monument. Yes, its not as attractive as a proper landmark and most people probably can't look past its primary purpose. But its certainly not your typical stack and its not belching out toxic fumes as the fuel used is natural gas, which is by far the cleanest burning fossil fuel.

To be honest, "sheer size" is IMO *all* Hearn has going for it when it comes to "distinction". Otherwise, it's a standard 70s concrete cylinder.

OTH, the Sick Kids stack is definitely deliberately "designed"--almost as a "John Andrews" diminutive a la the CN Tower...

, The Sick Kids stack is definitely deliberately "designed"--almost as a "John Andrews" diminutive a la the CN Tower...

The 'Sick Kids stack' is actually part of the Walton Street Toronto District Heating plant......

4 March 2012: Wish it were 5s taller with red brick cladding:

013dm.jpg

Just a research centre!

Let's turn that around and pretend that the most famous architect in the world was designing the best condo in the world in Toronto right now. That we could say is "just a condo". Let's say that we were only building two condos in this city right now but one hundred research centres of little architectural merit. That would be impressive!

I know that's not really what you mean Automatic, and I don't want to dismiss issues of aesthetics as that is the realm of interest of many people on this forum but sometimes I wonder how skewed the balance of priorties are when we discuss these projects.

Back