Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Church north of Carlton starts to come back to life.

mlgs28.jpg

Retail along this stretch is going to be such a major improvement for the area. I always feel a little uneasy walking along this stretch late at night, I don't know why because there's no good reason to feel that way so this is very welcome.

O-M-G. Windows!
That's great to see. This stretch of Church has had an oppressive air of dinge and deadness hanging over it for so long. This is wonderful.

So - anyone wanna guess about how long until those lots (and rather crumbly low deco buildings) across Church street are redeveloped? :)

Last edited:
So - anyone wanna guess about how long until those lots (and rather crumbly low deco buildings) across Church street are redeveloped? :)

The N/E corner is aching for development/redevelopment from Carlton up to Wood Street, though I'd lament the loss of Zippers. The problem for a developer here might be shadowing the Church Street Public School playground.

Do you think that would be strictly enforced?
There was a flap about the height of Radio City when it was going up a few years ago, was that established residents - or the school - or both?

The plot of land there is quite large. A big and lovely building that stepped up from Wood street to Carlton south along Church would be quite an asset. It's got the space to handle the massing that could unobtrusively allow forty floors or so.
The two deco buildings there are in bad shape. There's barely enough limestone on them left in good enough shape to repurpose.

I've heard that the parking lot was being reserved for subsidized housing, though I can't back this up.

40 Storeys:
churcarl.jpg

Sorry if this is pulling the thread off topic.

Last edited:
40 stories is way too high, 20-25 at best. No more subsidized housing either, this block is ghettoizing low income individuals and families with three buildings there already.

Do you think that would be strictly enforced?
There was a flap about the height of Radio City when it was going up a few years ago, was that established residents - or the school - or both?

The plot of land there is quite large. A big and lovely building that stepped up from Wood street to Carlton south along Church would be quite an asset. It's got the space to handle the massing that could unobtrusively allow forty floors or so.
The two deco buildings there are in bad shape. There's barely enough limestone on them left in good enough shape to repurpose.

I've heard that the parking lot was being reserved for subsidized housing, though I can't back this up.

40 Storeys:
churcarl.jpg

Sorry if this is pulling the thread off topic.

I wonder if they're going to make the MLG roof green?

The first apartment block facing Church looks much smaller than I remember. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Loblaws on Queen's Quay is now 24 hours, so why not this one? (to go along with the 24/7 Shopper's Drug Mart, just down the corner)

Back