Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Toro Aluminum has been a part of such GTA projects as Absolute, One St. Thomas, Reve, James Cooper Mansion, and Lumiere. I wouldn't call any of those buildings "Schlock", but apparently you would.

I'll bite... Which details on this project do you find so "terrible"? You really seem to have a hate-on for this project (or anything not aA). That's fine and all, but what's with the consistently condescending attitude? You post as if you think are better than everyone. Its really tiresome and annoying.

What's terrible about this project? Here are some examples:

1) Look closely at the glass podium. Great, fantastic large panes of glass, right? Then what do you see beyond the glass, not even lined up properly behind the panes? Oh, huge steel vertical columns. No art to it at all is there?

2)The corner cutouts at street level--no creatively shown here. (The city wants a bit of space here--how do we solve this problem? Just cut a hole in the damn wall, mate!) Just crude hack jobs. Like that awful solution we derided at the French Quarter many years ago....

3)How does the form, the podiums materials, relate to its surroundings? It doesn't, thus committing the same mistakes of other clunkers built around Toronto. Like G+C's 460 Yonge proposal, one senses this project was dreamed up without a visit to the site, probably in a dreary industrial space in the 905. This project could be anywhere. It's like a Smart Centre--$mart bottom line but zero context.

4)One gets the sense this is just a big fat Rob Ford wearing a tent as clothing. No style to it, nothing interesting going on. Just take a huge block of concrete and wrap some glazing around it. Blah.

Last edited:

1) Look closely at the glass podium. Great, fantastic large panes of glass, right? Then what do you see beyond the glass, not even lined up properly behind the panes? Oh, huge steel vertical columns. No art to it at all is there?

2)The corner cutouts at street level--no creatively shown here. (The city wants a bit of space here--how do we solve this problem? Just cut a hole in the damn wall, mate!) Just crude hack jobs. Like that awful solution we derided at the French Quarter many years ago....

3)How does the form, the podiums materials, relate to its surroundings? It doesn't, thus committing the same mistakes of other clunkers built around Toronto. Like G+C's 460 Yonge proposal, one senses this project was dreamed up without a visit to the site, probably in a dreary industrial space in the 905. This project could be anywhere. It's like a Smart Centre--$mart bottom line but zero context.

4)One gets the sense this is just a big fat Rob Ford wearing a tent as clothing. No style to it, nothing interesting going on. Just take a huge block of concrete and wrap some glazing around it. Blah.

This huge block of concrete with some glazing around it is gonna earn me tons of money.. i know.. it sucks!!

1)You can always see the steel behind the glass when it's UNFINISHED.

2)The corner cut out. Again, the podium is UNFINISHED.

3)Um okay? Not every building is meant to fit in the neighbourhood. Sometimes the neighbourhood NEEDS change.

4)Okay, you're crazy.

Just take a huge block of concrete and wrap some glazing around it. Blah.

That would describe quite a few buildings - including some that you have professed an affection for.

The big difference though, those firms put some effort into it. While the developers dictate simple sellable floorplates the better firms find a creative solution to the box. Details, contextualism, the classic proportions, etc.

Contrast to a project like here where you can't see these details, just the "sketch." Probably entirely designed from a template. Heck, did you see where G+C hq is located?

gchqm.jpg

You get the idea....

Out for a walk today

toronto2012030200115.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-02

toronto2012030200114.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-02

toronto2012030200112.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-02

The big difference though, those firms put some effort into it. While the developers dictate simple sellable floorplates the better firms find a creative solution to the box. Details, contextualism, the classic proportions, etc.

How would you know if they put effort into it? What makes you think that no effort has been put into this building?

With respect to "boxes" what do you mean when you say "better firms find a creative solution to the box." That's just you muttering in order to cover over what is otherwise a personal point of view of yours, and nothing else. This building isn't even close to being completed, and you claim special insight into it being a failure. You'll have to explain this point if you want it to be taken seriously.

You're entitled to your personal opinion, but if you are going to claim a failure based on what you've typed here, then the failing is all yours.

Some of us are visual thinkers. Others, perhaps yourself?, like to write an essay on the topic.

It's like investing in the stock market. Some people love to analyze, read about and write about a stock before they feel comfortable buying it. Otoh, just like with architecture/renderings, I "read" the chart and know within seconds if it's good or not.

Different styles of "stating opinions" is what you'll have to learn to accept.

Are you left or right brained? That is an important consideration.

Last edited:
Some of us are visual thinkers. Others, perhaps yourself?, like to write an essay on the topic.

Thanks for the non-answer. I take this to mean that you are incapable defending your position in a written form (or just simply defending your position, period). I'm quite sure that "visual thinking" is mere reference to your own opinion as it happens only in your own head.

It's like investing in the stock market. Some people love to analyze, read about and write about a stock before they feel comfortable buying it. Otoh, just like with architecture/renderings, I "read" the chart and know within seconds if it's good or not.

Actually no, it's about you making a claim of objective knowledge, a claim that you are admittedly incapable of expressing.

Different styles of "stating opinions" is what you'll have to learn to accept.

No one here can see your supposed "visual thinking." Since the basis of this forum is the written word, that fact might have occurred to you. Obviously not.

Are you left or right brained? That is an important consideration.

What, now you're claiming to be a brain expert in the absence of your ability to defend your position?

I'll second ud's comments. It does lack regard for most of the commonly accepted aesthetic principles I can think of. Now, if you want to deny the validity of such a thing as aesthetics then, well, there's not really much of a conversation that can be had, is there? You like what you like, I like what I like, and then we change the topic because our positions are irreconcilable?

I think the best that might be said for it is that it's unapologetically utilitarian. Though even that is debatable since it's too fussy for that. I don't know. I guess it's a step forward for the area, and it'll bring lots of new residents and business to the strip. That's about all that can be said for it, based on what's there for so far.

Back