News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 601     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Adam Vaughan, Shelley Carroll consider mayoral run in 2014

Actually, North York's wards opted for Ford over Smitherman--even those that opted for left-leaning councillors...

Actually, North York's wards opted for Ford over Smitherman--even those that opted for left-leaning councillors...

Most people get there news coverage from the local papers or TV. These sources do not cover things on a ward-by-ward basis. Thus, these councillors get in because of name recognition - the incumbant has a huge advantage. Very few actually go to all candidates meeting due to there busy lives.

For the mayor, at least there is coverage in the media so the public can make an informed vote. Of course there are still some who use other methods to determine their vote (i.e. name recognition, best sounding name, etc.) but I would say the electorate is more informed in their decision for mayor than they are for councillor.

For federal or provincial governement, voters assume that the political parties have pre-screened the candidate and thus without following the campaign very much at all, they can still make some type of decision as to who best supports their own philosophies.

The last time I checked, Mel Lastman was a long time mayor of North York, and he is a small-c Conservative. One of the more progressive North Yorkers in the municipal level was Howard Moscoe, who often debated fiercely with Mel Lastman (the two however endorsed the centrist Josh Colle).

It really was an old city/megacity divide. The only polls in the entire central city to vote for Ford were Moss Park, Alexandra Park, and 1001 Queen (CAMH).

Back