Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

I can't believe anyone who's spent any time in NYCC would call it lifeless. Its condo bases are far busier and occupied with far more interesting businesses than the condos downtown.

There's certainly life on NYCC's strech of Yonge; maybe it's not "mainstream" per se, but I always see people strolling along the street, dining in restaurants and tea houses at 12am~1am.

But seriously lacking certain services for those in the immediate Shepp-Yonge area; no large grocery store until Hullmark and Emerald are complete.

Closest are accessible by subway, but not close for someone who is not able bodied. No barber shop per se in the immediate area; a couple of spas only. Retail is limited; the Sheppard Centre has always struggled for significant retail establishments--but its planned makeover might help in future.

There are lots of people, but they are going home or somewhere else.

But seriously lacking certain services for those in the immediate Shepp-Yonge area; no large grocery store until Hullmark and Emerald are complete.

Closest are accessible by subway, but not close for someone who is not able bodied. No barber shop per se in the immediate area; a couple of spas only. Retail is limited; the Sheppard Centre has always struggled for significant retail establishments--but its planned makeover might help in future.

There are lots of people, but they are going home or somewhere else.

I agree with NYk, the area immediately north of Yonge-Sheppard is lacking in terms of good grocery store (I hope it will be fixed with HC and Emerald Park) and some good retail. The area is not lifeless, but it is a bit soul-less... And the west side south of Y-S needs something more than just 10 gas stations.

Last edited:
So how's the nightlife?

Fine. If I were looking to get food at 1am on a weeknight, I'd rather be in NYCC than in many parts of downtown. There are also a couple clubs and a bunch of bars. Lots of karaoke and bubble tea places.

As for the grocery store, when I lived downtown I'd have loved to have a full-size grocery store as close to me as the Loblaws at Empress Walk is to Yonge and Sheppard.

I suppose it depends on your age; note that I said for those not as able to get around as well, a large grocery store is not immediately accessible.

You could walk or take the subway to Empress Walk for the Super Store, but for older people this may not be as good an option. For those of us who work in the area, the old Metro at Hullmark's location was very handy. Rabba is good, but limited.

To change tracks completely; the clubs are where--further north?

:) there is plenty of fish in the area and T&T is coming soon... I hope the area will find its soul as well!

Actually, the area already has plenty of "Seoul"! :rolleyes:

As for grocery stores at Yonge and Sheppard,..... Sheppard Centre has a ShoppersDrugMart (lower level) with a food section,.... ok, it doesn't have a produce or bakery section, but then again at the north end of SheppardCentre near the food court, there's a produce-grocery store and bakery as well.

As per barber-shop/haircut places, there's 2 in SheppardCentre along with another 2 on YongeStreet between the Shell and Esso gas stations,.... and there's some Korean hair salons around too.

I can't believe anyone who's spent any time in NYCC would call it lifeless. Its condo bases are far busier and occupied with far more interesting businesses than the condos downtown.

Not sure what your talking about ... and I was a pro NYCC supporter ... see my previous post.
Many many many condos build downtown have sucesfully / busy retail throughout the grade. King east is the best example of condo after condo with well integrated retail. There is so much more throughout the core.

If you're referring to areas like city place and liberity village ... sure but NYCC has that in spades as well, walk up Doris, it's NYCC's version of cityplace without the nice parks. Moreover, cityplace has a lot of interesting architecture no matter what people say, the hideous precast 20 story monsters on Doris do not.

Having said that I'd really like to credit Tridels building fronting Yonge north of Mckee, tons of retail, and while they're small they can be combined, and there are bars / restaurants / some interesting shops for NYCC.

South tower, View from Sheppard:

ut2hc2img0222.jpg

What is the projected finish date for this building? I hope Emerald and Hullmark complete at the same time... It will look great!

Back