Toronto Monde | 149.95m | 44s | Great Gulf | Moshe Safdie

The problem with the Eastern Waterfront is that it's developing without any tourist attractions, amusements, entertainment, nightlife or anything that will attract outsiders. That wouldn't be an issue if it was in Scarborough but in downtown Toronto, on the waterfront, I think it's a mistake. We need more attractions on the waterfront for tourists and Torontonians. I don't want to see a Cityplace or Fort York neighbourhood on the waterfront or any other part of the downtown core. Toronto needs more large scale attractions. I'm still waiting for a modern art gallery and a city of Toronto museum. Christ, even Regent Park is getting an arts & culture centre, along with an aquatic centre. You would think the waterfront would be an even higher priority, just due to its location and tourism potential.

I agree but your not giving it a chance. East Bayfront is one neighrbourhood, you may recall but there are definitely 'tourist' attractions in store for the port lands, that's part of the plan.

I agree but your not giving it a chance. East Bayfront is one neighrbourhood, you may recall but there are definitely 'tourist' attractions in store for the port lands, that's part of the plan.

Not to mention Don River Park which will hopefully be an attraction for families in the core

Don't forget the distillery district, future First Parliament site, and a series of new parks, but I agree, the city still needs to invest in something else remarkable down there. Again, converting the LCBO HQ's into Toronto's answer to the Tate Modern is a remarkable opportunity. A city this size ought to have at least a second significant gallery, with a different focus than the AGO.

Of course, the proceeds of the sale of the property will be used to help balance one year's budget instead.

Last edited:
Not to mention Don River Park which will hopefully be an attraction for families in the core

Don River Park will be a nice neighbourhood park but it will have nothing in it, that would make it a tourist attraction, from what I've read. It's mainly a nice patch of grass and trees, like all the other parks in Toronto. Did Canoe Landing Park become a huge tourist draw? Hell, you can't even get large numbers of Torontonian's to visit it. The only way to get the crowds out, is to build some serious attractions.

I am giving it a chance but I just don't see anybody in city council talking about making the area tourism friendly or bringing new attractions to the waterfront. (besides the Ford's stupidity) I wish we had some councillors talking about new ideas on the waterfront and how we can make it unique or special.

Last edited:
I am not sure why one wants (or needs) to make everything a 'tourist attraction" (though I admit we do need some more tourist attractions); Canoe Landing park was, I think, primarily aimed at providing open space for the thousands who live in City Place just as the park in the West Don lands is primarily to serve people who will live there. Tourists will sometimes go to both of them, just as they now go to David Crombie Park on The Esplanade but none are ever going to be tourist destinations. Undoubtedly (more) tourists, and many residents, go to Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common and I am sure when the pedestrian links along Queens Quay are improved we will see more tourists walking to both these new parks from Harbourfront - which IS a tourist attraction.

I don't think Toronto will ever be a great 'typical' tourist city ...

What do you want exactly ? Museum / Art Museum / Theater / ... ?

Would a tourist from New York, Paris, or Rome, really even care about any of these parks:confused:

I highly doubt Toronto gets very many tourists from these cities; if there are people in Toronto from these cities, it's either to visit friends & family or for business purposes, not to actually purposely visit Toronto to see its attractions (and yes, that includes the CN Tower; most foreigners who visit this tower will do so if they're already in Toronto for other reasons).

And I'm sure they would adjust their expectations once they realize Toronto is a functional commerce-oriented city. (Not all cities will be major tourist destinations.)

I highly doubt Toronto gets very many tourists from these cities; if there are people in Toronto from these cities, it's either to visit friends & family or for business purposes, not to actually purposely visit Toronto to see its attractions (and yes, that includes the CN Tower; most foreigners who visit this tower will do so if they're already in Toronto for other reasons).

And I'm sure they would adjust their expectations once they realize Toronto is a functional commerce-oriented city. (Not all cities will be major tourist destinations.)

Ontario gets over 1 million visitors a year from overseas. I think most of them are going to Niagara Falls, but you can hardly say there is no market for tourist attractions in Toronto.

Ontario gets over 1 million visitors a year from overseas. I think most of them are going to Niagara Falls, but you can hardly say there is no market for tourist attractions in Toronto.

What, the over 2 million American tourists a year to Toronto dont count.
Toronto alone gets aprox. 9-10 million tourists a year, and who cares where they come from, as long as they are spending there cash here and enjoying it.

Last edited:

Back