News   Mar 28, 2024
 337     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 696     0 

Sitara: a $60M South Asian-themed mall for Scarborough

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Once again the Post has failed to check its facts. McNicoll and Markham Road is in Scarborough.

Link to article

$60M South Asian-themed mall to be built in Markham
Radhika Chary, National Post
Published: Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Markham developer will next month begin building a $60-million South Asianthemed mall, in what will be the largest development of its kind in North America.

"It will be like Gerrard Bazaar but on a much larger scale," David Lam said. ''For me, this is a prime location for South Asians. There are temples, mosques and other places of worship in the vicinity. Many houses are being bought by South Asians and their numbers are growing.''

Mr. Lam, a seafood importer, had originally conceived a Chinese mall for the site, at McNicoll and Markham, but switched gears when the project did not take off and he saw a growing number of South Asians moving into the area.

South Asians form a large portion of immigrants to Canada; emigration from India alone accounts for 12% of all immigrants to Canada.

Modelled along the lines of the Pacific Mall, the 240,000-square-feet Sitara (The Star) will house 500 retail shops, restaurants, food court, a huge banquet and convention centre, a two-storey atrium for pop concerts, several patios and a 1,000-car park facility.

"Look at the history of the Chinese community and the growth of retail stores catering to their needs. The same is happening with South Asians now. There are some projections that by 2017, one out of every six Canadians will be of South Asian origin," he said.

Sitara will claim part of the building housing Lam's Tai Foong International Ltd.

Wasn't there another Asian mall also being built in Scarborough? Some new big one as well. I remember hearing about it like a year ago roughly on SSC.

Wasn't there another Asian mall also being built in Scarborough? Some new big one as well. I remember hearing about it like a year ago roughly on SSC.

Could have been the same project. The article does say it was originally going to be a Chinese mall.

Thanks for the clarification ... the Landmark is already under construction correct?

hmm ... once thing I find odd though (and I think it points to the fact that the article is at error) the landmark is suppose to be the first condo mall in North America... what are the chances that another one .. located very close to landmark .. is under construction. i.e. the article got the location + the city wrong .. wouldn't surprise me one bit :).

yeah it will be pacific mall for brown people...

d0cacb6444e5808e71caa01de1e6.jpeg

Here is the render.

What I posted was the Sitara render; the link you provided was the Landmark render. They are sort of similar though, at least the glassy roofs.

original.aspx

That's because there's two malls.

edit - Sitara is a South Asian themed mall going at the NW corner of McNicoll & Markham, where the Harvey's used to be - and it seems to be incorporated into the seafood importer/exporter (Tai Foong) building. Landmark is a Chinese themed mall going SW of Steeles & Markham.

I'm still not sure how 5 million more South Asians are going to appear in Canada in the next 10 years...if they said one out of sixteen Canadians, I'd believe them.

Back