Toronto Underpass Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The highway is the least of problems IMO. The biggest issue to me seems to be the fact that the place is completely surrounded by streets, so it's a bit of an odd location for a park.

http://news.waterfrontoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/UnderpassPark_Context-Map.jpg

Thx for this. A couple of things stand out from the 'context map' that I'd failed to register before -- the Athletes' Village buildings will include the vacant lots west of Cherry, north of the two condos on the north side of Mill. That takes another huge chunk of derelict land out of the area -- very good news! And the TCHC buildings are sited -- just west of RiverCity, fronting on King. That's actually where I'd imagined RiverCity to be when I was looking at the maps after walking over to the sales centre. My bad. There's more space there than I thought, but it also means RiverCity is a LOT closer to the train tracks -- the Phase 2 people will have to think long and hard about that!

Do you know how tall the TCHC building beside river city will be?

I feel the same way. I mean cars don't fly off the highway very often, but it has happened, and I just can't see myself hanging out under a highway.

Oh yes! These underreported risks. Also, there will be people there. I mean people's heads don't explode very often, but it has happened. In fact, I feel a spell coming on right now. Best to stay clear!

Last edited:
The novelty of this idea/park makes it worth it-- it will undoubtedly be used.

I am shocked at the cynicism in here--- wait, no I'm not ;).

This fear of cars attacking from above is hilarious ... reminds me of the guy who wanted the new 'wavy' boardwalks on the waterfront to be shut down.

How is this any different from a park that fronts a curving flat road ... the car is just as likely to drive straight and into the park - that's more probably as roads don't have medians protecting the cars.

The highway is the least of problems IMO. The biggest issue to me seems to be the fact that the place is completely surrounded by streets, so it's a bit of an odd location for a park.

I think that given the somewhat isolated location of this park, being under an overpass and all, the more streets bordering it the better. Presumably, said streets will be lined with buildings, hopefully both residential and commercial uses, providing Jacobs' 'eyes on the street' throughout the day. Without streets and by extension neighbours, this park could become an ideal crack spot, albeit meticulously landscaped.

Perhaps the park won't be a haven for mommies with babies, but it will provide for those walking through the area and encourage pedestrian travel. Currently, crossing over from Corktown to Distillery, you pass through a grim dusty non-place, and it is unpleasant.

I would also point out that the city's landscaping on Lakeshore (between Yonge and Bay) doesn't provide for leisure, but it certainly enhanced the pedestrian experience in the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
I applaud cleaning up and making these spaces safe and more usable but not many people are going to eat a meal or use adventure gyms for kids under a bridge so I doubt they'll become a destination. I'd stay stick to cleaning up these spots, lighting them better and perhaps even lease out spaces at really affordable rates and give some of these areas the opportunity to grow organically. Leasing space could work under some sections of the Gardiner, but not all areas.

The obvious local comparison is to the fairly large, green, open air berm park that'll be laid out immediately to the south. The other is to the Fort York Visitor Centre. It's a free country, and if people see a small space strategically located beneath the point where two elevated traffic routes kiss-and-part as a prettified destination to take their kiddies to play in that's there business I suppose. The Fort York design uses a similar space as a transitioning area that leads to a destination.

March 11 2010 update

in response to some earlier posts ... yes indeed skate park is a component in the Underpass Park as shown on the River City Site Plan:

IMG_2126.jpg

According to on site signage, Underpass Park + Don River Park + River Square will be completed in 2011~

IMG_2127.jpg

They need to add lots of lights underneath the bridge as well. My worry is that this might attract hooligans and druggies.

It's in a good spot - it'll function as a corridor between the north & south areas of River City. If it's even moderately attractive, it'll get used by a range of people, and that'll go a long way towards keeping the hooligans at bay. What we really have to be wary of is trolls. Trolls love hanging out under bridges.

Back