Toronto Globe and Mail Headquarters: Never-Built | ?m | 18s | The Globe and Mail | KPMB

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks a bit underwhelming to me, although we need to see a better render...

Wha? I was expecting some really interesting and varied massing (like the Freed development nearby, though even moreso) to really add to the feeling of a "neighbourhood". This would work in some places but I feel like it's just too much of a solid block to be placed there. Hmmm.

I'll keep my eyes open to see better pics. though.

It appears as though the building is raised off the ground. If that were true, it would create an interesting urban space. Kind of a covered square.

Just to dream a bit, if the ceiling of the space were one gaint media screen, dishing out the day's news in real time, then that would be something.

Reminds me of that Snohetta design for Ryerson a bit. I really like what I can see but its really hard to tell anything from a blurry pic.

I quite like it. Although, ya I'd like to see some better photos. Who takes such crappy photos anyway? Haha. Their camera must be from when digital cameras first came out.

Yeah, Señor Blacktower seems to think that taking a crappy photo, then blowing it up big compensates for the crummy resolution he gets in his shots. They're all over his site. Kinda funny!

I was at this meeting, and everyone had mostly positive feedback for The Globe and KPMB. Was nice to go to a development meeting and not have it devolve into Tribal Council. There's a lot of great features and considerations for the neighbourhood put into the design. The Renderings were preliminary but very nice. Looking forward to this one. And go easy on Señor Blacktower, he's taking the time to update us all on what's going on - fuzzy photos or not.

tower.jpg

Attachments

• tower.jpg
    tower.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 802
Ah now that's much better! :) Here's the same version so you don't have to click. I see what was meant by the mildly twisting sofa analogy. I like the shape and it has some real visual interest to it. There looks to be a decently wide amount of sidewalk space, and what looks to be some form of public art, or something along those lines in the facade right at the corner.

attachment.php

Looks like there is some kind of central atrium in the podium leading to the top. Like the subtle twist of the tower - alas, the Bathurst facade looks really too monolithic.

AoD

So where is the big, impressive public component?

This is OK but it's still a disappointment from the way it was originally described. I don't see anything that much out of the ordinary here.

hmmm... one of the discarded though slightly better iterations of George Brown College? The massing will certainly serve to define a gateway feeling at the bottom of Spadina. I am becoming less and less of a fan of KPMB though. Their designs are so utterly minimalist that viewing I can only walk away feeling that the idea is incomplete. I think the key here is the animation of the square at the intersection...

Looks like there is some kind of central atrium in the podium leading to the top. Like the subtle twist of the tower - alas, the Bathurst facade looks really too monolithic.

AoD

Spadina? This doesn't stretch to Bathurst... although that would be somewhat amazing?
Are we looking north along spadina in this rendering? Is that a new street, to the west?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back