News   Apr 19, 2024
 174     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 507     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 668     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Backlit signs are all over Times Square and even Shibuya. Sure Dundas Square has more, but the square itself is still relatively new and more dynamic signs will be installed as the area matures, if companies feel it's a good investment. For the record I don't like the Telus ads either.

That's exactly what I think will happen too. When the project is complete and when "they come", the bean counters and statisticians will be crunching numbers and confirming that the area is a solid advertising venture. I believe improved signage will follow.

If and when some of the big-name companies start to vie for advertising space here we'll see the quality of the signs go up. You don't spend big bucks to have your company's presence 'underwhelm' the public.

Dundas Square looks pretty empty in some of those pics. Some of you are going to blast me for this but I think what it really needs is a centrepiece. Almost all the great squares in the world have a statue or public art as an anchor, and for good reason: they're people magnets. The monuments in Piccadilly Circus, Dam Square, and Wenceslas Square, to name a few, constantly have people loitering around (and on) them. It doesn't have to be a traditional king-on-a-horse type statue, something totally modern could work just as well.

And I still don't get what that canopy is supposed to accomplish.

Totally agreed. Although it couldn't really go in the centre of the square because it would obstruct the view of the stage. Having some sort of fun object with lots of steps and places to sit at the south edge would be perfect! More than anything else, that is what the square is missing.

The centrepiece of Dundas Square are the water fountains. They're the people magnet, they're the place where everybody congregates around. Too bad they don't work during the winter.

An equestrian sculpture of Mayor William Lyon Mackenzie, shown leading Torontonians down Yonge Street in the 1837 Rebellion, would make an appropriate public statue - after all, his house is just around the corner at 82 Bond Street.

"To die fighting for freedom is truly glorious. Who would live and die a slave? Come if you dare, here goes! Rise Canadians!" he challenged the government of Upper Canada.

^ that would be a fantastic idea, you should e-mail the city and let's see what they say! it is the city that own the square right?

plinth3721.jpg

New sculpture in Trafalgar by Thomas Schutte.

Image from The Guardian
link to article

^Very cool.

The centrepiece of Dundas Square are the water fountains. They're the people magnet, they're the place where everybody congregates around. Too bad they don't work during the winter.
Yeah that's just it, from October to May the centrepiece disappears. It needs something that's there all year.

Back