2.3K     4 

Music World To Close After Declaring Bankruptcy

nicetommy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Music World To Close After Declaring Bankruptcy

Monday November 12, 2007

CityNews.ca Staff

Another one bites the dust. It's a song by the rock group Queen and you can still buy the CD at Music World. But you'd better hurry. The last Canadian-owned national music chain has confirmed it will be going out of business after being sold to new owners and immediately being put into bankruptcy protection.

Music World has 72 stores across the country, including a number in the Toronto area. But sales aren't what they used to be - the franchise lost more than $9 million last year. It plans to stay open until at least January to take advantage of holiday sales, which means you may be able to find a bargain as it attempts to liquidate its stock. But for its 648 employees across Canada, it will be a grim Christmas. They're facing layoffs starting in the New Year.

The new owners say they may keep a few outlets in key locations open with a new focus on overall entertainment, but suspect the era of the big record store has come to an end in Canada. HMV, which is British, remains the biggest such chain in the country and has already started a movement away from pitching music to other entertainment options, like DVDs and video games.

Music World is the latest casualty of war as an army of listeners and buyers head straight for the Internet to download the music they want directly. Retailers simply can't match the prices or the convenience, not to mention the ongoing illegal downloading which doesn't cost consumers a cent. And competitors like Wal-Mart have begun to sell CDs as a loss leader to attract customers.

The franchise joins other broken records on the scrap heap of history, including Sam the Record Man, which closed its famous flagship store for good at the end of June. All that remains is the sign, which has been declared a historic landmark and won't be taken down.

I didn't realize Music World was Canadian. I can't see them keeping a few stores open either; they won't be able to match the prices of a chain like HMV.

^I think they could be, but not for a while. They still seem to be doing pretty well.

Like the article said, HMV has been smart enough to shift their attention to DVDs and video games which still have strong sales for now. Of course, both those entertainment sectors are heading to online downloads as well so HMV will need to continue innovating.

Good riddance. Music World sucked and had never even thought to change the way they did business. The stores were always messy, unorganized, and the stock was terrible at every location. Not to mention they looked like they were stuck in the 80s all the time.

Music World-Another One Bites The Dust....

NT and everyone: I did not realize-after Toronto has lost big music retailers like Sam the Record Man and A&A's that Music World is the last Canadian-owned music retailer in Toronto. That example of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" brings back memories of my early 80s trips to Toronto-when my favorite local Toronto band I got to like then was GODDO and the punk rock band TEENAGE HEAD seemed to be everywhere. I would seek out on my trips good Canadian rock records and tapes that I could not get in the US-another favorite retailer of mine was Peter Dunn's Vinyl Museum and as for a band one of my favorite examples was SAGA. Does Toronto have a local music retailer that sells and specializes in bands known only in Canada as an example today?
Toronto is too big a city-and market-to be without a good local music retailer! That's my two cents here-LI MIKE

LI Mike - Music World is the country's last NATIONWIDE Canadian-owned music store chain. There are a small bunch of local retailers here still in the biz.

Music World-Canada's last national music chain store

I42: Just curious-do the local Toronto chain music stores cover a void with the loss of stores like Music World? I figured that Toronto would support good music stores locally. In that area of Yonge/Dundas where Sam's used to be along with A&A's in sort of an entertainment area -are any good music retailers still there? It's been a while... LI MIKE

Honestly I've not bought anything at Music World or Sunrise in a long time. HMV rules them all, whether it be for CDs, DVDs or whatever. Plus HMV is British so +1 for that.

HMV sells 90% DVDs now. They're doing fine. The Eatons and Yonge Street locations are always full of people.

I miss Tower Records :(

Back